Board index Photography Technical Questions any type of filter that helps with taking better night photo

Technical Questions

any type of filter that helps with taking better night photo

Discuss technical aspects of photography
ignorant88

any type of filter that helps with taking better night photo

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:06 pm

Hi, besides using a powerful flash like canon 580ex, any suggestion on use of any filter or accessory to take better night scenic views? Thnks for any suggestion experience sharing

gemmf

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:01 pm

Personally I wouldn't use a flash (not even 580EX! :lol:) for night scenic views. You just need a solid tripod, remote release (or self-timer) and a slow shutter speed. :)

ghsmith178613

Re: any type of filter that helps with taking better night p

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:54 pm

ignorant88 wrote:Hi, besides using a powerful flash like canon 580ex, any suggestion on use of any filter or accessory to take better night scenic views? Thnks for any suggestion experience sharing

you are already at reduced light levels working at night. a filter is only going to reduce the light reaching the sensor.

a tripod will hielp if your subject isn't moving. watch out noise in long exposures and higher iso ratings.

if you're doing moving stuff, you have two choices -
get more light and manage it. the 580 is a start. clarify what you want to do, then light it up.
or
live with blurred images.
Forty years of photography.
Fifteen years of training young professional photographers.

ignorant88

Re: any type of filter that helps with taking better night p

Post Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:11 pm

ghsmith178613 wrote:
ignorant88 wrote:Hi, besides using a powerful flash like canon 580ex, any suggestion on use of any filter or accessory to take better night scenic views? Thnks for any suggestion experience sharing

you are already at reduced light levels working at night. a filter is only going to reduce the light reaching the sensor.

a tripod will hielp if your subject isn't moving. watch out noise in long exposures and higher iso ratings.

if you're doing moving stuff, you have two choices -
get more light and manage it. the 580 is a start. clarify what you want to do, then light it up.
or
live with blurred images.

If the subject photographed is just night scenery without moving objects, primarily looking to shoot the nite lighting....using a tripod, what ISO do u think is good. I heard that using ISO 1600 is used, the resolution is not very good if you look at the photograph a little closer.

ghsmith178613

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:12 am

it's not uncommon for night scenes to be several seconds to several minutes long. don't get in a hurry and think the camera isn't working. charging the battery well before going out is a must. you are going to burn up a lot of power doing this.

put the camera on the tripod and compose. if you have a manual mode in the camera. get the iso as low as you can. iso 100 is used a lot get the lens open as wide as you can - f/2.8 or better. turn the shutter to 1 setting back from "bulb" and lock the mirror in the up position. start making exposures, moving the shutter speed up as you complete a frame.

it's only digital. what you don't like, just delete it AFTER your are finished. noise will show up in the shadow areas as strange patterns. there are several techniques for removing some noise.

make youself some notes from the exif data for your next excursion.

jewelelegance

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:47 pm

Use a I.R. filter.

ignorant88

Post Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:44 pm

thnks for advise. i have a lot to learn. what is a I.R filter

ghsmith178613

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:10 am

jewelelegance wrote:Use a I.R. filter.

i.r. stands for infra-red - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared

in photography - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_photography

jeffryz

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:25 pm

An infrared filter would add to the problems above by further reducing the amount of light reaching the sensor. That will increase the most likely causes of unsharp night photos- higher ISO meaning more grain or longer shutter speeds increasing the chances for camera movement during the exposure. Keeping your camera as still as possible is the most important thing in night photography.

Board index Photography Technical Questions any type of filter that helps with taking better night photo