Board index Photography Technical Questions Filter systems suitable for Wide Angle.

Technical Questions

Filter systems suitable for Wide Angle.

Discuss technical aspects of photography
jmahedy

Filter systems suitable for Wide Angle.

Post Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:14 am

Hello,

I have been using Cokin P filters with my Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC with my Canon EOS 20D. I have since upgraded to 1D Mk III and have started to notice vingetting using Cokin P filters and the Wide Angle Holder. I even have this problem on regular circular polarisers with the new setup. This renders the 10mm end of this lens unusable on the 1D.

I've looked at the Cokin X series for Medium Format and extreme wide angle Lenses. Has anyone any thoughts or advice on this system, other than the blue-tac trick are there any other options?

Thanks

J

ride_the_spiral

Post Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:02 pm

But the EOS 1D Mk III is an EF mount (according to the specs I read on dpreview.com) and oppositely the Sigma 10-20mm (dc or equivalent EF-S mount) is made for a crop body.

How do you manage to get the 10-20mm mounted without damaging/touching the mirror?

In any case, what about the Hoya Pro (ultra slim) filters? They might do the trick.
Canon EOS 5D | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM | Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
http://www.pbase.com/ride_the_spiral

thelund

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:46 pm

ride_the_spiral wrote:But the EOS 1D Mk III is an EF mount (according to the specs I read on dpreview.com) and oppositely the Sigma 10-20mm (dc or equivalent EF-S mount) is made for a crop body.

How do you manage to get the 10-20mm mounted without damaging/touching the mirror?

AFAIK Sigma DC just means that the lens has a reduced image circle, so it should fit on a 1D but it should show vignetting even without filters!?

Brian

dougj

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:56 pm

Sigma states:

"Vignetting will occur if the lens is used with digital cameras with image sensors larger than APS-C size or 35mm SLR cameras."

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses ... avigator=6

The sensor in the 1DIII is probably just a little beyond what the lens is designed for.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Filter systems suitable for Wide Angle.