Board index Photography Technical Questions suggestion for flash on a Rebel XTI

Technical Questions

suggestion for flash on a Rebel XTI

Discuss technical aspects of photography
ignorant88

suggestion for flash on a Rebel XTI

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:01 pm

hi guys.....any suggestion/recommendation on what brand /model to buy for a flash....something thats gd...but not more than $500 range. thnx guys

simplephotography

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:19 pm

420/430/550EX. No idea what flashes cost over there, but the 580EX is also great (almost the best, only one better is 580EX II).

All depending on how powerful you want it to be. The 580EX is almost brighter than the sun!

ignorant88

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:54 pm

for nite photography, does it make a ton of diff in terms of which flash to use?

ghsmith178613

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:05 pm

ignorant88 wrote:for nite photography, does it make a ton of diff in terms of which flash to use?

simple answer... YES...
http://photonotes.org/cgi-bin/entry.pl?id=Guidenumber
and ....
the 580ii takes full advantage of the metriic linkages. that's if you decide to not learn the manual modes.
Forty years of photography.
Fifteen years of training young professional photographers.

marxz

Post Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:58 am

Personally I'd go for (and did buy) both an 550ex and an 420ex both of which you can get quite cheap second hand (say on eBay).

The 550 is a great (if some what awkward to learn to use) high power flash that can act as a master and use the 420 as a slave.

When I eventually go to an 580EX then both the 550 and 420 will stay with me as slave units.

what ever - practice practice and practice some more - shoot with flash straight, shout with flash bounce high shoot with bounce left/right, shoot using camera in portrait mode etc etc get to learn what works and why
there is no .sig

judell74

Post Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:05 pm

If you are in a tight budget, try the Sigma EF-500DG Super

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... Flash.html

Board index Photography Technical Questions suggestion for flash on a Rebel XTI