Board index Photography Technical Questions Problem with Nikon SB-800 on Nikon D-200.

Technical Questions

Problem with Nikon SB-800 on Nikon D-200.

Discuss technical aspects of photography
a_zeitler

Problem with Nikon SB-800 on Nikon D-200.

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:49 am

I have a Nikon SB-800 that I received in March of 2007. I have not used the flash more than two dozen times. I recently took it to Mexico with me and used it there about 6 times. Everything worked fine. I came back to the US and tried to use the flash a week later, only to see that a battery had leaked acid in the battery chamber. Now the flash will not fire. Everytime the shutter is released the flash led blinks for the three seconds stating that underexposure has occured, but the flash will not fire. It will not even test fire off the camera or on the camera. The flash unit sounds as though it charges, the ready led lights up, the CPU lens functions work, I reset all of the settings, and still nothing. Could the battery acid have ruined the flash unit itself? The acid has gotten onto the terminals, but there is clearly enough metal to have proper contact to the battery. I brushed the dried up acid out with an old tooth brush.

I know that the flash bulb is still good because several times changing the batteries, it would flash... the unit was not even in the on position at that time. I have tried three different sets of batteries... still nothing. I do not really have the money to have it repaired right now and I am hoping that it is just something that I am not setting correctly. I do not know much about flash and everything is borderline of being a foreign language to me.

If anyone can help me out or lead me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. I am kind of desperate because it was a birthday present and is brand new and was expensive.

sightminer

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:01 am

I'm a newbie to photog but not electronics. Yes, it's possible that battery acid could have ruined the SB-800. Remember, today's gear is essentially small micro-computers, with microboards that have micro-circuits. Introduce anything corrosive to that gear and you're just asking for trouble.

I don't have any advice as to alleviating the problem outside of repair. Perhaps some electronic contact cleaner might help as it evaporates quickly with no residue. If it were me, I'd open up the unit as much as possible, being extremely observant of what went where and try to clean the unit out, but that's your call.

I feel your pain. I've been in similar situations

Good luck

jdepould

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:06 pm

Have you looked into making a warranty claim? Other option is to contact the battery company, not sure how much they would be willing to help though.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

Board index Photography Technical Questions Problem with Nikon SB-800 on Nikon D-200.