Board index Photography Technical Questions RAW vs JPEG Debate

Technical Questions

RAW vs JPEG Debate

Discuss technical aspects of photography
moltogordo

RAW images

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:53 am

There is no point in shooting RAW unless it is your intention to finish each picture off yourself. Straight printing of a RAW file defeats it's purpose, which is maximizing the information of each file. Quite often a RAW file looks bland coming out of the camera. This is because each uncompressed layer contains information that may or may not be visible, but it contains the maximum amount of color variation, contrast variation, etc. which must be brought out in the post-processing situation.

I shoot RAW when I need the maximum tonal range, when the image needs the maximum manipulation, and especially if the lighting is such that I'm in danger of blowing out highlights.

RAW can be compared to the post-processing that labs do for the average snapshooter. The amount of manipulation done is quite amazing - there is no such thing as a "pure" unretouched photo. I kind of laugh at people who think that their images are "straight"; I worked in a lab for years and assure you that a lot of manipulation goes on.

jdepould

Re: RAW images

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:08 pm

moltogordo wrote:RAW can be compared to the post-processing that labs do for the average snapshooter. The amount of manipulation done is quite amazing - there is no such thing as a "pure" unretouched photo. I kind of laugh at people who think that their images are "straight"; I worked in a lab for years and assure you that a lot of manipulation goes on.

Which irritates me to no end. When I need prints in a hurry, none of the local labs give a damn when you tell them to turn off auto-sharpening, contrast, etc.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

benjikan

Post Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:12 pm

jdepould wrote:
moltogordo wrote:RAW can be compared to the post-processing that labs do for the average snapshooter. The amount of manipulation done is quite amazing - there is no such thing as a "pure" unretouched photo. I kind of laugh at people who think that their images are "straight"; I worked in a lab for years and assure you that a lot of manipulation goes on.

Which irritates me to no end. When I need prints in a hurry, none of the local labs give a damn when you tell them to turn off auto-sharpening, contrast, etc.

You might want to find one lab that you work with on a regular basis and set up a personal relationship with. That is what I have done, to avoid any PP on images that have been worked on.

Ben

jdepould

Post Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:22 pm

benjikan wrote:
You might want to find one lab that you work with on a regular basis and set up a personal relationship with. That is what I have done, to avoid any PP on images that have been worked on.

Ben

Hasn't worked so far :-\
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

madlights

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:44 pm

There is a certain incontrovertible statement that the click of a shutter makes to some people. A finality of statement. A recording of a moment. I used to always shoot in RAW. I'm finding myself shooting in it less. I understand the whys of people who don't shoot in jpg...and they are very valid. But there is something about pushing the shutter button, and knowing it will be harder to change later that is valid too...at least to myself. It's hard to explain.

dang

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:00 pm

I went through a long stretch after trying to update Photo Impact to a newer version which only messed my computer up, and I couldn't download RAW. I've just now gotten it fixed, and shot jpg exclusively for months due to it. One thing I did was to bracket my shots, which I always did when shooting film. Raw is great, but jpg always forces you to double check your exposures which isn't a bad thing. As lots of people have pointed out at different times, and for various reasons, digital makes it too easy to snap away without thinking, so shooting jpg, and using manual settings at times can slow a person down and make them think more about what they're doing. I usually find I get my best shots when shooting this way.

Previous

Board index Photography Technical Questions RAW vs JPEG Debate