Board index Photography Technical Questions CANON: 1.4 convertors and the 50-500mm sigma apo lens

Technical Questions

CANON: 1.4 convertors and the 50-500mm sigma apo lens

Discuss technical aspects of photography
unclesirbobby

CANON: 1.4 convertors and the 50-500mm sigma apo lens

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:00 pm

has anyone tried using a 1.4 convertor with a sigma 50-500mm lens. What are the results and are there any sample photos

gemmf

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:16 pm

I have a feeling Canon Extenders don't physically fit this lens, but I could be wrong. Even if it does, 1.4x Extender for a f6.3 lens probably isn't really worth it.

alexbondsmith

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:06 am

I would think that it would work as the mounts are exactly the same as the Canon mount.

gemmf

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:40 am

alexbondsmith wrote:I would think that it would work as the mounts are exactly the same as the Canon mount.

Mounts are the same but remember the front element of Canon Extenders protrudes out into the lens mount, so they don't even fit many of the Canon lenses.

dang

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:30 am

Most likely what you'll find is the body giving "err99". I've found when trying to use TC's with lenses other than Canon, it's pretty common due to their circuitry. A better choice might be a Kenko PRO 300 1.4X. The problem (as pointed out) is the lack of enough light above f/5/6 for proper focusing (lack of contrast) in auto mode. Once you get to f/8 or above, it's pretty much manual all the way. Of course a tripod would be an absolute.

chillmanafrica

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:12 am

Used a Kenco 1.4 extender with the Sigma 50-500 for this shot, it is all manual focus, have used the canon 1.4 and 2x extenders with this lens as well, there is a lock on the lens to prevent the extender smashing the glass as it does protude into the lens body. Using a tripod in good light conditions this setup is ok, but a waste of time otherwise.

dang

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:51 am

Chillman wrote:
Used a Kenco 1.4 extender with the Sigma 50-500 for this shot, it is all manual focus, have used the canon 1.4 and 2x extenders with this lens as well...

Thanks for the info, for future reference. Did you have "err 99" when used in auto mode also, since you said you're using manual?

Board index Photography Technical Questions CANON: 1.4 convertors and the 50-500mm sigma apo lens