Board index Photography Technical Questions How to remove a stuck filter?

Technical Questions

How to remove a stuck filter?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
mdecaprio

How to remove a stuck filter?

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:52 am

I am having big trouble. I have a canon 70-200 f/4L and I some how got my CP filter stuck. I was shooting at the beach and it was very windy. A number of days later, I tried to remove the CP filter and I can't. I can't imagine salt got between the threads but I am out of ideas. Possibly I just put it on so tight but I don't remember it that way.

Does anyone have suggestion on how to get the filter off? Can a camera store assist? What do I do? I'm so lost...

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Mahalo
Mike
Canon 40D
Canon EOS 350D
EF 70-200/f4 L
EF-S 17-55 f2.8
EF 100/f2.8 macro
EF 50/f1.8
EF-S 18-55

philway

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:10 am

I think it's an expansion issue.
You probably screw on a filter colder than your lens.

Perhaps you could put the filter on a cold surface and rapidly, before the lens itself becoming cold, try to unscrew it.
At first you can store the lens in a warm (but moderate) place to accentuate the difference of temperatures between the lens and the filter put on a cold surface.

jdepould

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:20 pm

I have filters get stuck every once in awhile, a rubber bottle grip usually works for me, grocery stores usually have them for less than $1.
Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

madsox

Re: How to remove a stuck filter?

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:29 pm

mdecaprio wrote:I am having big trouble. I have a canon 70-200 f/4L and I some how got my CP filter stuck.

Does anyone have suggestion on how to get the filter off? Can a camera store assist? What do I do? I'm so lost...

Old trick: use a rubber-soled shoe (any kind, as long as the sole is clean).

1: Remove lens w/stuck filter from camera.
2: Hold lens in one hand, firmly, holding the lens barrel/filter mount in place.
2: Put shoe on other hand.
3: Press lens (filter) against bottom of shoe, turn to remove.
4: Clean filter and lens, return to shooting.

This works on very stuck lenses, give it a try. Just be sure the shoe is clean and you don't scratch up the filter too much, although filters are more replaceable than lenses!

HTH,
afm
Andrew Maddox, amateur since age 10ish
Still a film shooter, but now a digital printer
Nobody special, but take a look:
http://www.pbase.com/madsox

alexphotos

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:09 pm

I got a CP filter stuck a few months ago.
The thing is those polarizing filter turn on the edge, so they are to get a good grip on the threads.
I end up getting it out by putting rubber bands on the part that screw for getting a better grip.

Note that bottle thing is a good idée.
I never screw hard my CP's or I just put them over a UV one (but this is not recommend for wide lens)
Alexandre Trudeau-Dion aka ALEXPHOTOS http://www.pbase.com/alexphotos <=== http://www.Alexphotos.ca

mdecaprio

Thanks to Everyone

Post Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:29 am

WOW, thank you to everyone for the suggestions.

Yesterday before I made the post I tried the rubber band thing and it did not work for me.

After reading the post I tried the rubber shoe idea and it worked great. You should have seen the smile on my face. I was amazed not only that it worked but it came off as if it wasn't even stuck. I kind of had to chuckle.

Thanks again to everyone.
Mike
Canon 40D
Canon EOS 350D
EF 70-200/f4 L
EF-S 17-55 f2.8
EF 100/f2.8 macro
EF 50/f1.8
EF-S 18-55

rsbfotos

Post Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:49 pm

If you ever come across a piece of stiff rubber big enough for the largest filter you might ever use, throw it in your kit-bag. It will work like the rubber soled shoe idea.

- You lay it on a flat surface.
- Place stuck lens with filter, filter face down on rubber.
- Apply pressure down on the rubber while turning the lens and filter.

What you’re doing is applying even pressure on the circumference of the filter. The slightest difference in grip pressure anywhere around the filter alters its shape (out of round) enough to remain tight.
That's why the rubber band idea and the rubber bottle grip don't always work.
---

jack4567

Shoes

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:23 pm

Thankyou all for your great suggestions! It's Christmas day, I just recieved a new macro lens, and I got a filter stuck on it. I was distraught, but exactly like mdecaprio said, the shoe idea worked well. I was amazed. Thanks again. Jack

marxz

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:59 pm

I used an oil filter wrench (clean new one) the type that have a rubber strap instead of a steel band. Only way I could get a badly stuck polarizer off.
there is no .sig

dougj

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:52 pm

Good advise on removing stuck filters. One way to avoid the problem is to remove the filter after the shot(s), when it is no longer needed. This is particularly important when shooting at or near salt water.

A small amount of candle wax or graphite from a pencil does a good job to reduce thread freezing. This only needs to be a small amount, and work the filter on and off several times to spread it around.

mauilarry

Removing stuck filters

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:58 am

Another piece of advice is to carry a pair of latex medical exam gloves with your camera gear. I have found that these work great in removing "stuck" filters. They give you that little bit of extra leverage that you need.

geoff_c

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:32 am

I now carry a set of filter clamps with me (available from camera shops in a range of sizes according to the filter). These are circular and grip around the circumference of the filter - great for the CP filters which would otherwise rotate using the rubber shoe method.

Some great ideas here though - thanks.
+++++++++++++++++++++
+ email: photos@geoffc.com
+ web: http://www.geoff.com
+++++++++++++++++++++

rexbryng

Post Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:27 pm

I just discovered a great way to remove a stuck polarizing filter. Get ahold of a large hose clamp that fits the lens. Tighten the hose clamp down with the edge of it just covering the grooved grip ring of the polarizing filter. Screw it down nice and tight. Slowly turn the hose clamp counter-clockwise using the screw portion of the clamp to get a good grip. The filter should come right off. I tried all the other ideas in this forum with no luck before this idea occurred to me. I hope this technique comes in handy to some of you. Rex

e6filmuser

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:59 pm

When you have mastered that, try a polarizer (front rotates) mounted in a filter holder in a petal-shaped hood. Long, hard finger nails work but with difficulty and discomfort.

Any other ideas?

akmc_in_au

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:02 am

I remembered reading this thread long ago. I've been having an issue recently which isn't quite the same but I thought I'd share it anyway.

I've been having issues with my CP filter getting stuck to the UV filter that I usually keep on the lens. A useful way to separate them is to unscrew the entire assembly and shove it in my shirt pocket for a couple of minutes. The air between them warms and expands, and voila, a nice, clean separation.

Next

Board index Photography Technical Questions How to remove a stuck filter?