Board index PBase PaD Discussion Candid shots

PaD Discussion

Candid shots

discuss photo-a-day projects
jamtarts

Candid shots

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:25 pm

How do PaD people treat candid shots, I like the idea of them and there are many brilliant pictures in the PaD galleries,

If you take a shot that someone can be identified in, would you seek permission? Or would you accept the picture as 'fair game'?

I've often thought about posting a few candid shots but prefer to keep anyone in my pictures anonymous unless I have their permission to use the picture,

but I usually do not bother due to the awkwardness of gaining permission,

how you do you treat a picture with random people in the the image?
Wacka! Wacka! Wacka!
http://www.pbase.com/jamtarts

clickaway

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:56 pm

Hi Richard,

I generally find that asking for permission for a candid somewhat self-defeating, and impractical. I find its crucial that they are not aware when you the press the shutter, and so often the subjects have passed out of sight or asking them may disturb whatever they are doing.

There are rare occassions that I do feel that permission is needed on moral grounds, perhaps when shooting someone with a deformity. In such cases, I would always shoot first to capture the candid moment and then ask. If that's not possible, I would not publish on PBase.

I tend to shoot candids where I blend in - often in a city centre - and also I like to shoot in an environment where people are relaxed; perhaps playing tourist.

Of course, I avoid children to stay on the right side of the law, but I believe it would be OK if you sought their parents permission. But I just don't go there for the child's sake as well.

Regards,

Ray

butchcomer

Post Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:31 pm

As far as I know, photographers own the images they take and if there are "strangers" in those pictures, that's cool (and legal) as long as the subject was in a public place, a park for example.
It's just more courteous to ask if the opportunity is there.

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Candid shots