Board index PBase PaD Discussion A fellow Pbaser passed away..

PaD Discussion

A fellow Pbaser passed away..

discuss photo-a-day projects
kstuebin

A fellow Pbaser passed away..

Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:15 pm

I didn't know where else to put this since there is no general discussion category.

Jack Perkins, aka Jackeroo, beloved friend of all on DPReview's Olympus Talk Forum passed away of a massive heart attack. It was completely unexpected and he had been in very good health.

I know many here probably don't know him and I wonder how many people just disappear without a word but I could not let that happen to Jack. He was one of the kindest, gentlest souls I've ever had the pleasure of having as a virtual friend.

And an excellent photographer as well. Check out his galleries, especially all the wonderful tropical birds from down under:

http://www.pbase.com/jackeroo

I won't say goodbye because I know you're somewhere shooting angels now. Instead I'll say g'day mate.

Karen

simonkirk

sad news

Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:48 pm

Sad news indeed, my best wishes to his family.
Simon Kirk

gpaai

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:27 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with Jack's loved ones.

I think about this often when someone Online just disappears. When Sunny was gone so long I thought just how easy it is for those you come to know to come and go from your life. Sometimes just never knowing what happened to them...

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

mysticchyna

R.I.P

Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:49 am

:cry:
That is sad. You bring up a good point too...Pbase is a big place...thousands of people use this service...I know others have passed on...and we just don't hear about it.
My Eyes R My Camera....I behold the world within my lens..........
--lisa

tradescant

Would this be ghoulish ...

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:03 pm

I didn't know this person, but the sentiment expressed got me wondering what you folks think of a dedicated gallery to display maybe the most frequently viewed single image of those who we know have passed on?

Don't mean it to be sentimental or mawkwish, more a way of remembering those we have called friends (virtual or otherwise) or fellow photographers and a small way of paying some kind of tribute to their lives and photographic work.

Haven't fully thought this out - eg, how it would be paid for or maintained - so feel free to chip in with thoughts and ideas, even if it's just to say 'rubbish!'.

David.

twdarby

Post Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:35 pm

David, I agree with you. It would make for a nice tribute, but the "how to do it" is beyond me. I've often wondered about these things, aside from a few close friends and relatives very few people know that I have a gallery here on Pbase.

Tom

kstuebin

Update..

Post Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:00 pm

I know a lot of Pad people virtually and I think it would be a great idea to have a tribute to anyone who passed away. I know many Padders email each other so I'd think we'd find out if it happened. Hopefully, this would not be anything we'd ever have to do.

As a suggestion on how to do it, Bill Huber from Olympus Talk Forum started a tribute gallery for Jackeroo.

http://www.pbase.com/otfchallenge/in_memory

BTW, Slug is keeping Jackeroo's gallery up free of charge.

Thanks Slug!!

Karen

Board index PBase PaD Discussion A fellow Pbaser passed away..