Board index PBase PaD Discussion WEEKLY INFORMAL CHALLENGE 194: "My 3 Best of 2013"

PaD Discussion

WEEKLY INFORMAL CHALLENGE 194: "My 3 Best of 2013"

discuss photo-a-day projects
amoxtli

WEEKLY INFORMAL CHALLENGE 194: "My 3 Best of 2013"

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:01 pm

Weekly Challenge: "My 3 Best of 2013"

Changing the theme and method slightly this week, by not asking for a fresh image. Show us your 3 Best Images of 2013, and tell us why. It is always interesting reading the descriptions of photographers and learnig more about the subject, how and why the image was taken and its significance.

It would be easiest if you use the PB-Image button to post the image. (Please see my submission below).

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your participation in the challenges that Scott and I posted this year. We would like to wish you a Wonderful, Happy, Healthy, Successful New Year filled with many photo adventures.

A few simple rules:

1. Themes are posted on Fridays to give you the weekend to come up with a FRESH shot for the challenge to post through Monday.

2. This is about interaction, learning, being challenged and having fun so... HAVE FUN!

3. The themes are specific but interpretations are broad. Stay on theme but PLEASE feel free to think outside the box.

4. Look at others' submissions, comment as moved to do so and offer supportive and constructive feedback. Please don't just post for exposure. Look and at least comment on some.

5. Did we already mention: HAVE FUN!!!
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

amoxtli

Re: WEEKLY INFORMAL CHALLENGE 194: "My 3 Best of 2013"

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:13 pm

This was an experiment with spinning steel wool which had been set on fire. This was the first time I did anything like this, and it was a challenge as I did not know what camera settings to use. I decided to set the aperture and shutter speed to the background instead of the spinning. I would like to try more of this in 2014.

Another experiment using HDR processing just when the fog was dissolving and the sun was coming up. Easily one chance in thousands to catch a moment like this. I've lived near this place for years and have never seen a scene like this.

Adelaida had received a bouquet of flowers for her birthday and I took one out and placed in a vase in front of the flatscreen TV in our kitchen. I turned off all the lights so there would be no reflection except diffused light coming in through blinds in behind the TV. I took several shots, but liked this one best at 4 seconds.

Happy New Year!
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

chenchena

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:32 am

I travelled in July and August to Central Asia. These three photo’s symbolises for me the beauty and the mystique of the ancient trade route, the Silk Road, which linked Europe to Asia. It remembers me also of travelling to these cities with my Uzbek friend Natalya. My new camera is excellent in night photography.

The Registan in Samarkand

The Nadir Divanbergi Medrassa in Bukhara

City lights in Khiva

Cheers Mieke
Last edited by chenchena on Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his/her life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful. (free to J.W. von Goethe)

vneilknobbe

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:22 am

I did lots of experimenting on 2013 from macro to long exposure night shots.

My favourite 3 in no particular order are:

1. Night shot of Brig Amity in Albany WA. Dispite getting eaten alive by the mosquitoes while I think I ended up with a decent night shot of the ship.

2. A new macro lens meant lots of tries and errors, but this image of a lilly was the best.

3. Araleun Botanic Gardens can be found in the hills just outside of Perth. I was trying out different points of view and this one of the pond (captured while hanging over the edge near water level) came out quite well I think.

janicecd

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:42 am

Too, too hard to choose - but I quickly picked these!!

Green Dragon Inn, Hobbiton

Little Fairy Mila

Beatles Song Title - I Wanna Be Your Man - 1963

norbertf

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:28 pm

I mostly try for three goals: color, contrast and minimalism in my photos.
All three in one would be a big one for me.
Sometimes also curiosity comes into play.
So here are three for your viewing pleasure.

I like this one for color and minimalism:

Nice view from a ferry with lots of color and contrast:

The last is just minimalism and some contrast too:

Happy new year!

lynnh

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:32 pm

I'm an artist. I spent many years drawing and painting and later went to art school. So, adding artistic treatments to my photos is where I find my joy. The photo itself is a canvas.
Here are 3 of my favorite treated photos from 2013.

I just love adding old photo distress and sepia colors to a modern photo.

Threshold treatment depends on composition because it eliminates all color and nuance of tone. Not every photo works with threshold.
In this one, I "painted" this woman's clothing to change it from shorts and a tank top to a miniskirt, nylons and a fur jacket.

Sometimes the background is the real subject. In this one, I love the colors that pop and draw the eyes to Jezebel's lips.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

jdonnelly

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:13 pm

1) From the November Challenge “Artist and Song Title” and I really struggled with this one. One of my favorite Bob Dylan songs has long been “Subterranian Homesick Blues” but the lyrics are so crazy and I just couldn’t figure out how I could do it. My special thanks go to Werner for his encouragement and inspiration ….. when I finally sat down with determination to actually do it, everything just seemed to effortlessly flow. It was really an amazing experience!

2) I love these two pigeons! Maybe it’s because it took so many shots to finally get this one! Maybe it’s also because they seem to really have some kind of communication going on here …… so cute.

3) And finally the tiger ……….. just because!

borisalex

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:17 am

I like to choose three images I took with different cameras, because they best camera is the one you have with you, if someting catches your eye..and even your heart!

#1 Best taken with my Canon 7D at an old village by the Moselle River in october...Harvest! I was strucked by the light and textures!

#2 Best taken with my compact camera at the last day of summer! A typical moment for a compact to have with you if you suddenly see a butterfly sitting on a flower, with great light and contrast!

#3 Best taken with my phone, while I was walking my dog to see this in fall, using the HDR mode of the iPhone 5. I liked the mood and subdued colors on a early morning!

1designguy

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:02 pm

"Last Evening"

This is one of those shots that makes me smile. Good memories from a great vacation. The scene was picked out over the week on the coast. The big miracle was actually getting both of the children ready and to the location in time for last light.

"IR Nashville XXXVIII"

A month dedicated to pursuing infrared images of Nashville scenes with fresh Spring growth and in particular a well designed new public space. A good mix of the new with a backdrop of "old".

"Favorite" from a High Key Dance Shoot

Just a great moment between sisters with predictable light from my portable studio. These two were so sweet.

Thank all of you for another year of encouragement, inspiration and interaction. Happy New Year!

dewildean

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:12 am

Fox fighting in the snow .. what a great experiance to see and to photograph ! :

http://www.pbase.com/dewildean/image/148417971

Discovery of the wild ladyslipper in Switserland :

http://m8.i.pbase.com/g9/36/73936/3/151 ... wsiIOG.jpg

photographing wild dolphins in Tenerife last week :

http://www.pbase.com/dewildean/image/153876397/original

imorozoff

Post Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:03 am

1) I had this printed and framed for a silent auction to raise funds for spay/neuter clinics. It was also a featured as "art of the week" which is kind of neat.

2) I donate my photographyy time and skills to local animal rescue organizations and take photos of events as well as adoptable animals. I've photographed nearly 200 animals this year alone, and must say that Bilbo is one that I'll always hold dear. This little boy was horribly mistreated in his 7 short weeks which you can easily see in his eyes. Not even two hours of posting this very photo and the adoption applications started coming in. He's grown to be a handsome dog and is enjoying life as a much loved family member now.

3) On days I'm not photographing dogs, you can find me in my studio photographing water drop collisions. The possibilities are endless and the results totally unpredictable. This particular image was taken this past week and is just plain milk. I love the simplicity of this shot compared to some of the messes I've created with water.

Thanks for looking and Happy New Year to you all.

Board index PBase PaD Discussion WEEKLY INFORMAL CHALLENGE 194: "My 3 Best of 2013"