Board index PBase PaD Discussion June challenge suggestions

PaD Discussion

June challenge suggestions

discuss photo-a-day projects
janicecd

June challenge suggestions

Post Thu May 30, 2013 8:34 pm

Any ideas for June's challenge... ??
May's 7 elements has been fun... many great images posted.
I saw this topic and wondered if it could suit - called the 4 Cardinal Elements:
"Earth /Air /Fire /Water".
It's just a suggestion. I'm also keen to see other ideas too. Its June in NZ tomorrow.

jdonnelly

Re: June challenge suggestions

Post Thu May 30, 2013 11:44 pm

I think the idea of "Earth / Air / Fire / Water" is great!

Janet

chenchena

Post Fri May 31, 2013 12:46 am

When I did a search on the internet for what other challenges had as subject, I noticed first of all that Pbase was not in the top pages of the search machine.
Which I consider as missed chances, as Pbase challenges are as interesting as all the others and most important non-commercial.
I also noticed that some of the challenges had for the month June as subject contrast.
That appeals to me as a photographic subject.
Contrast in photography means:
Contrast is defined as the separation between the darkest and brightest areas of the image.
Increase contrast and you increase the separation between dark and bright, making shadows darker and highlights brighter.
The use of opposing elements, such as colours, forms, or lines, in proximity to produce an intensified effect in a work of art.

Well it is just something to think about as subject.

Cheers Mieke
A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his/her life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful. (free to J.W. von Goethe)

janicecd

Post Fri May 31, 2013 5:26 am

Yes, CONTRASTS is good for the challenge too... I'm happy with that.

Any more ideas?

lainesphotos

Post Fri May 31, 2013 8:42 am

We did CONTRASTS in April 2012...not that I mind doing it again as it was fun...just thought I'd point that out :D

lainesphotos

Post Fri May 31, 2013 8:58 am

I brought the past challenges lists to the top again so you may want to look through them. Of course there is another years worth not yet added to it.

jolka

Post Fri May 31, 2013 11:16 am

I like the "Earth /Air /Fire /Water" idea. Why to repeat the subject used not long ago? The March subject "7 Elements of design" was also repeated, we did it in October 2011 (7 elemnts of art), so I would prefer to try something new for a change :)

borisalex

Post Fri May 31, 2013 11:53 am

How about land- and cityscapes... :D

From Wikipedia:

Landscape comprises the visible features of an area of land, including the physical elements of landforms such as (ice-capped) mountains, hills, water bodies such as rivers, lakes, ponds and the sea, living elements of land cover including indigenous vegetation, human elements including different forms of land use, buildings and structures, and transitory elements such as lighting and weather conditions.
Combining both their physical origins and the cultural overlay of human presence, often created over millennia, landscapes reflect the living synthesis of people and place vital to local and national identity. Landscapes, their character and quality, help define the self-image of a region, its sense of place that differentiates it from other regions. It is the dynamic backdrop to people’s lives.

Richard Hartshorne defined landscape as referring to "the external, visible, (or touchable) surface of the earth. This surface is formed by the outer surfaces, those in immediate contact with the atmosphere, of vegetation, bare earth, snow, ice, or water bodies or the features made by man."

A cityscape is the urban equivalent of a landscape. Townscape is roughly synonymous with cityscape, though it implies the same difference in urban size and density (and even modernity) implicit in the difference between the words city and town. In urban design the terms refer to the configuration of built forms and interstitial space. In the visual arts a cityscape (urban landscape) is an artistic representation, such as a painting, drawing, print or photograph, of the physical aspects of a city or urban area.

Good morning!

borisalex

Post Fri May 31, 2013 3:41 pm

...or maybe... :D

Street photography

...is a genre of photography that features subjects in candid situations within public places and does not necessitate the presence of a street or even the urban environment. 'Street' simply refers to a place where human activity can be seen, a place to observe and capture social interaction. The subject can even be absent of any people and can be that of object or environment where an object projects a human character or an environment is decidedly human.
Framing and timing are key aspects of the craft, with the aim of creating images at a decisive or poignant moment. Alternatively, the street photographer may seek a more prosaic depiction of the scene, as a form of social documentary.
Much of what is now widely regarded, stylistically and subjectively, as definitive street photography was made in the era spanning the end of the 19th Century through to the late 1970s; a period which saw the emergence of portable cameras. During the course of its evolution, street photography has provided a diverse and detailed record of street culture. The advent of digital photography, combined with the exponential growth of photo-sharing via the internet, has greatly expanded an awareness of the genre and its practitioners.

(from wikipedia)

amoxtli

Post Fri May 31, 2013 5:32 pm

I like all the suggestions, but the drawback of "Landscapes and Cityscapes", "Contrasts" and "Earth / Air / Fire / Water" is that participants can post just about anything which makes it less of a "challenge". This was the situation with "7 elements of design" this month. It made for a wide variety of images, which is nice, but I doubt any of the participants were seriously challenged. I'd like to see a challenge suggestion that really "challenges" the participants.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

borisalex

Post Fri May 31, 2013 6:59 pm

amoxtli wrote:I like all the suggestions, but the drawback of "Landscapes and Cityscapes", "Contrasts" and "Earth / Air / Fire / Water" is that participants can post just about anything which makes it less of a "challenge". This was the situation with "7 elements of design" this month. It made for a wide variety of images, which is nice, but I doubt any of the participants were seriously challenged. I'd like to see a challenge suggestion that really "challenges" the participants.

So what is your Suggestion?

amoxtli

Post Fri May 31, 2013 7:33 pm

borisalex wrote:
amoxtli wrote:I like all the suggestions, but the drawback of "Landscapes and Cityscapes", "Contrasts" and "Earth / Air / Fire / Water" is that participants can post just about anything which makes it less of a "challenge". This was the situation with "7 elements of design" this month. It made for a wide variety of images, which is nice, but I doubt any of the participants were seriously challenged. I'd like to see a challenge suggestion that really "challenges" the participants.

So what is your Suggestion?

I knew someone would ask that. :lol:

Scavenger Hunts and the challenges we did for Song Titles were fun and challenging in the past. I also enjoyed the food photography challenge because it's a difficult form of photography. Here is a list from pinterest: http://pinterest.com/wishingwellgirl/photo-challenges/

As for new ideas, how about "Signs", "From Above or Below", "Architectural Details" or "Portraits". As for the last one, there is a PBaser, I forget his name, who felt uncomfortable doing portraits, so he started going up to people in the street asking if he could take their picture. They all said yes, and he ended up overcoming his shyness and he also became a very good at photographing portraits. I realize that is not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a challenge.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

janicecd

Post Fri May 31, 2013 9:24 pm

Ok. So now how do we choose?
I really enjoyed our Movie Titles and Song Titles. They made us work! Anyone want to try them again?
I enjoy taking portraits -but understand that is not easy for many people.
This is getting hard...
I'll go along with STREET PHOTOGRAPHY unless others have better ideas!!!
JUNE 01 is here now...

janicecd

Post Fri May 31, 2013 10:07 pm

Oops - all done - Movie / Film titles - thanks Walter...
There are many websites with Movie / Film titles to choose from - ENJOY everyone

Board index PBase PaD Discussion June challenge suggestions