PaD Discussion

Idea for a April 2013 "Half-Second Challenge"

discuss photo-a-day projects
borisalex

Idea for a April 2013 "Half-Second Challenge"

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:38 am

1/2 Sec. Challenge

Got Half a Second? Post it here.

This proposal is to post images for the Half-Second Challenge. You should only post pics where the shutter speed is half a second - that's like 0"5 or 2 (where 2 means 1/2) in your camera's settings. Go on, get out of your comfort zone!! You will get great motion blur and low light shots. Should be fun!! ... there is so much to learn! If you shoot in Program most of the time, try to switch over to Aperture!

Cheers

Boris

borisalex

Re: Idea for a April 2013 "Half-Second Challenge"

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:09 am

I made this shot as a sample just 15 min ago...

The idea is dead simple. You set your camera to manual or shutter priority, dial in 0.5 seconds and see what you can get. Sounds easy right? Actually, hand-holding for that amount of time is very challenging, even with the latest image stabilisation systems, so it might be that you need to find something to lean against or even (ye gads!) use a tripod in order to get a half-second shot that's good enough. Or you could go down the divinely abstract and coolly blurry route of course, or maybe use panning to get something really different.

timbg

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:41 pm

Sounds like it could be a fun challenge!

laryl

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 pm

I think it's a very cool idea!
Link to my newest photos ... http://www.pbase.com/laryl/newest_photos

lynnh

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Thank you for a good idea, Boris. I am not sure if I will have time to participate in April. My father is not well. I will try.

In January, Janice suggested Adjectives, There was discussion about doing Adjectives in April instead. But you all can decide among yourselves because both Ideas are pretty good.

Here is list of some adjectives, as example only. You can find many more at
http://www.momswhothink.com/reading/lis ... Adjectives List

delicious
fresh
greasy
juicy
hot
icy
loose
melted
nutritious
prickly
rainy
rotten
salty
strong
sweet
tart
tasteless
uneven
weak
wet
wooden
yummy
abundant
empty
few
full
heavy
light
many
numerous
sparse
substantial
ancient
brief
early
fast
late
long
modern
old
old-fashioned
quick
rapid
short
slow
swift
young
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

chrishadden

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:26 pm

I think Boris' idea would make a good WIC should Walter or Scott be looking for ideas.
Personally I would probably struggle with a whole month of 'Half Second' images.

Love the idea of Adjectives - plenty to choose from. Unfortunately my posting will be sporadic as I am away for most of the month.
Happy Easter to all PBasers wherever you may be. Chris

janicecd

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:44 pm

Sounds an interesting idea Boris, but I also use my mobile camera and my point and shoot camera for my photos I post here. I often take spontanious photos and don't always carry my large camera with me. So I know I won't find this type of challenge easy to do.

marielou

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi all,

I Think the Boris' idea is very good for most of us to really know how to use a real camera and not a telephone.
Cameras are made to have pictures,
Telephone is made to call.
Hey, all guys and gals, try to be a true photographer !
All this just say with a big smile ! :)

Marielou

kstuebin

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:47 pm

I really struggled with this month's challenge because I never dreamed it would snow the entire month. But it did. April is usually very rainy although lots of spring color popping so I'm on the fence on whether to even commit to anything.

I would find 30 days of a half second difficult. I think it would be a cool weekend challenge. As a real photographer who uses a real camera, there are some technical issues. It's a bright sunny day with snow on the ground. I don't care what aperture I use. If I shoot at a half a second, I'm going to have a white photo. I can't shoot indoors again all month like I did this one. I'll lose my mind. No offense, Boris. I think it is a challenging idea.

Oh and I've seen some outstanding camera phone images. It's real photography as far as I'm concerned and I shoot a lot with film which is about as old school as you can get. Said with a :), of course.

I like adjectives. Lots of room for creativity or even a metatheme. You could even do them all a half second if you wanted.

But don't listen to me because I'm not sure I'll be able to do any challenge. I'll wait to see what everyone else has to say.

lainesphotos

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:39 pm

Agree, 1/2 a second would make a great weekend challenge, but I think Karen has hit on a good idea...the USE both suggestion. Adjectives done in 1/2 a second or not...you choose.
I found Barbara's daily quite challenging but that is a good thing and I enjoyed it immensely just as I did, Lynn's traditional challenge and I want to thank both ladies for the month of variety.

As for the phone use for photos, I had real fun using the apps to alter them around...personally I don't see it as being different to using photoshop to gussy up camera images...said with a :) of course !! Just my 2 cents worth :)

PS...I would prefer to go with Janice's Adjectives and add some 1/2 second shots occasionally

janicecd

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:18 pm

Saying this with a :D too :)

I love my Canon camera - but I am getting a lot of fun with my mobile camera, and as I have it with me most of the time it gets plenty of use as a camera... With so many different APPS we can add to it too.

I am happy to try using the 1/2 second shots occasionally if you all plan to go along with the adjectives next month. But each time - NO.

borisalex

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:33 am

To Janice, I made a shot from an icon (see at the Weekly challenge) with a point and shoot with aperture priority. But I realise, as Karen pointed out, that you have to go to a museum, an underground/railway station, a church, on evenings, to concerts, sports events, schools, meetings , restaurants, workspaces, old industrial buildings, abounded railway stations, long entry halls and many more other places for this challenge and to have a point and shot, or even the phone camera could be even better sometimes, as of having the "big" camera with you. Spontaneous photography! That´s why I said: "Get out of your comfort zone". But also I realize that you need a sturdy hand, tgo lean on or even using a tripod. There were many surprises for me to see the results, of the few images I did with 1/2 second, so I will keep my gallery http://www.pbase.com/borisalex/the_half ... _challenge, alive

I think we should go with Janice idea and skip the half second to another month....!

Happy Easter to all of you!!

Best
Boris

janicecd

Post Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:02 am

If it's okay with all of you I will start the Adjective Challenge off for April on Monday. I have Lynn's list and I will also add some more suggestions to it.

Boris, I will actually give your 1/2 second a try out too on some of my adjective pics... But I'm not too sure about sturdy hands...

Thanks all
Janice

emmelafoto

Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:23 pm

Boris, will you please start the half a second challenge?I like it a lot.

Tnx Maaike

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Idea for a April 2013 "Half-Second Challenge"