Board index PBase PaD Discussion Monthly Challenge Suggestion...

PaD Discussion

Monthly Challenge Suggestion...

discuss photo-a-day projects
kstuebin

Re: Monthly Challenge Suggestion...

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:30 pm

borisalex wrote:Hi all,
Barbara wrote: "We could stay on these topics for 1 or 2 months and then suggest a different series of themes..." Would that not be to static?? This is not a monthly challenge, rather are groups working on a theme, as I understand. :oops:

I think to impliment this Flickr concept is not what we do here! :arrow:

Cheers
Boris

I agree. Flickr to me represents the worst photography on the planet. There are good photographers too. But there are so many there finding them is not easy. Any site that has a group for "Sliders Sunday" where you take a normal photo and use sliders to turn into some atrocity is not one I want Pbase to become. And then there's Explore. Oh yes, all the Flickerites seek the great Explore God. Which is a computer program that picks photos based on a secret algorithm not on merit. It has to do with faves and comments and the alignment of Venus and Mars. But people do all kinds of things to get Explored so they can put "Explored" in the title of their photo.

When I participated in The Daily Shoot on there, I met a lot of really toxic people. These people send you nasty messages and block you for no reason. It is nothing like Pbase where people may speak their minds but rarely attack each other personally and act like adults.

Nope, I don't like Flickr. I do like the groups I'm in because I can get good information from them. But I refuse to give them one penny. And I've even been Explored and it's horrible. People you never heard of post animated graphics in your comments and say "Awesome photo!! Check out my Flickr River." And no I do not have an Explored set and I do not put it in the title. I want it to go away. :) So I hardly upload anything any more.

JMHO. Since someone asked why no one likes Flickr. That's why I don't like it. I don't think most people take it seriously as a site to find good photography. They do come to Pbase for that. And as a disclaimer, I do not think I am some great photographer. But I want to learn and I can't on Flickr but I can here because the photographers here are just outstanding.

borisalex

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:58 pm

I think the challenges here, after month of stagnation at this point are quite good going, having attracted even new participants lately, so why changing?. Barbara hasn´t been here often to know and to APPRECIATE that. It has been fun and challenging and we became even better photographers too! :oops:

My humble opinon! :oops:

lainesphotos

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Barbara said

anyone interested in a new kind of monthly challenge?
I came across this idea in a Flickr group and found this very interesting, challenging and inspiring...
I was thinking of a Challenge with a different theme for the week-day:

I don't believe she mentioned the virtues of flickr she just suggested that there she had seen something she thought may have interested those of us as a challenge for next month

Boris, I see both you and Barbara became Pbase members in the same year 2006 so to state Barbara hasn't been here often enough to know and appreciate the concept cannot be correct.
Please don't have our newer challenge posters think they have to earn their place in the pecking order to make a challenge suggestion as that is not the case. Pbase has always had a great community feel. I have had other sites where I posted but they never came close to the friendly way we deal with each other so here is where I stay.

Barbara made a suggestion of a topic..we are all free to add a suggestion.

Laine

kstuebin

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:08 pm

I think it's a good point that anyone can make a suggestion and is certainly indicative of the camaraderie on Pbase.

The thing is this is Pbase. We don't have thousands of group. I think people are associating the idea with Flickr because they do have groups for different challenges and types of photography. As a practical matter, having seven separate threads will tend to take over this forum. Whereas on Flickr, you just join whatever group you want to.

Maybe it's time to suggest to Emily that we get some more forums. It could be a good thing and lead to more innovation.

borisalex

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:08 pm

To Laine: I should have written " lately", Barbara didn´t often post here "lately", I mean like in the last two years!
Ciao
Boris

janicecd

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:18 pm

I think I'm happy to try Barbara's suggestion for a month - but not for 2 or more months.

It's good we can all give suggestions and try different themes.

Last month both Lynn and I gave suggestions for the Feb theme and we were quite happy to postpone them for another month or longer.

So, I'm happy to go with the flow and join in what everyone else it happy to do - as long as I can get out there and take photos... I've loved being out there looking for RED this month...

Cheers
Janice

janicecd

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:24 pm

The topics Lynn and I thought of were:

Lynn said she thought it would be fun to pick 28 (for Feb) of the Friday WEEKLY INFORMAL CHALLENGE subjects.

And I suggested photos using ADJECTIVES as a theme - An adjective is a 'describing' word / a “doing” word / an identifying word / also colours can be adjectives

cocameli

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:27 am

sounds great to me!

lynnh

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:07 pm

If anyone is interested in doing a typical Monthly Challenge instead of the Daily Challenge that Barbara proposed, please send me a PMail. I don't see why we can't do both.

I like Barbara's idea, but I only post 3 or so days per week, so her challenge will be too limiting for me.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

barbara_heide

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:39 pm

lynnh wrote:If anyone is interested in doing a typical Monthly Challenge instead of the Daily Challenge that Barbara proposed, please send me a PMail. I don't see why we can't do both.

I like Barbara's idea, but I only post 3 or so days per week, so her challenge will be too limiting for me.

Of course there can be 2 different challenges...

My idea was to attract people who don't have time to post every day...
This could be done once twice or seven times a week , corresponding to what you wish.

But I'm not aiming to destroy something existant, I just was going to suggest a little change.

( to Boris, btw I have been doing the challenges for years, long before you, even when we had to send our submissions to Laine, Bev and Lee, before it had been on the forum... I do not really feel like being a "newcomer" even if I had hard times with pbase admin and hadn't been posting for a few months) I have been a lot invilved with pbase and met other pbasers from around the world... I know why I continue to pay my fee, because of the community, of course!

but never mind I was asking a question... if people want to do something else, they are absolutely welcome!
I shouldn't have mentioned, that I have picked the idea from Flickr......

You don't need to send private mails, you can say openly, that you don't like it...
There is no problem at all to get along with the challenged the same it has been before... no worry!

cheers

Barbara
Barbara

lynnh

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi everyone.
I only asked for Pmail so we won't mess up Barbara's forum page here. I don't mean to be secretive, I want to find out if there is interest in continuing with the Monthly format in addition to this idea.
And, I think it is a good idea to offer solutions for people. Barbara had a good idea (even if it is from Flickr LOL)

These Challenges are two different things. I plan to add to Barbara's challenge now and then, just like the Friday challenge. And, I might combine all 3 challenges!

I don't think anyone has bad ideas. We are artists and we all desire a vehicle to present our work. We all love the same thing and that is a strong bond.

Hugs to each one of you.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

kstuebin

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:45 pm

Ok, I'm interested in another challenge. I would try to do all of them but would probably watch the seven day one first to see how it worked. I'm still not clear on that. And it's a lot of different threads to keep up with. I thought we were doing the weekly challenges and adjectives is good too. So, I'll go with the flow. I hope others will to and not be confused. As Boris pointed out, the challenges have just started picking up and we've lost one person already. So hopefully people understand and participate.

janicecd

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:26 am

I'm happy to leave my Adjective theme for a later date (this year / next year / never!!) and I'll go along with the flow for whatever is decided.

chrishadden

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:52 am

I'm happy to have a crack at whatever is decided upon - and would definitely like to see both Lynn and Janice's suggestions in the coming months.
My appreciation goes to whoever puts up a challenge, not something I am able to do because of occasional connection problems.

I look forward to March....Chris :)

lynnh

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:58 pm

My sporatic internet use is why Barbara's challenge doesn't work well for me. I never know when I'll be able to post. I would only be able to do the her challenge maybe 3 days per week.
And if I take a photo, and then don't get a chance to post it, I have to wait and hold that photo for a week, but then... I might not be able to post it that week either. Then I hold it for 2 weeks?

PreviousNext

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Monthly Challenge Suggestion...