Board index PBase PaD Discussion Any Thoughts for the January 2013 PAD?

PaD Discussion

Any Thoughts for the January 2013 PAD?

discuss photo-a-day projects
bdean

Any Thoughts for the January 2013 PAD?

Post Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:56 pm

January 1 is only 2 days away! I bought a new camera today (my first DSLR!) and I'm ready to do a PAD. Let's brainstorm! Anyone have any suggestions for January?

How about "The 5 senses (taste, touch, sight, sound, and smell)" as there are 5 weeks on January? (This would be a challenge for me even without a new camera!)

My only request is that we do something cheery as it's serious grey and gloomy up here in Rochester, NY in January. Due to Lake Ontario, the skies are overcast and sunny blue skies rare until the lake freezes over (usually late February). (I also am feeling a bit down due to the recent tragedy here involving the attack on firefighters. My husband and father served as volunteer firefighters and it happened in a neighborhood not more than 15 miles from us...I also was familiar with the Newtown, CT neighborhood as I did some consulting work there...it's been a hard December...I'm so ready for January.)

sheils

Re: Any Thoughts for the January 2013 PAD?

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:04 am

Norm posted a list of some things for the December challenge and it was suggested it be used for the January challenge instead. He suggested:

what about moody pictures, season are changing, snow should be coming in this week. Fog about. Warm weather arrives in other parts. Moods can be plentifull, all the way from dark to bright.

Another idea would be gifts. Things we would like to receive, a boat, a plane, a cadillac, a bmw, a new tea cup, a trip. You want it , you snap it, you show it.

Another idea would be the ground we walk on, or worst yet, the one we woudn't walk on.

Another idea could be something soft; a pillow, a feather, a furry kitten, a cheek, a bum (I said soft, you guys), a marsmallow.

Another idea would be something black, but the black had to cover at least 51% of the image, otherwise, we take it and crop off the white

Another idea would be anything nice, except for flowers, babies, cats, dogs and candies.

Another idea could be strange things; flying saucers, aliens, bugs (except bees), that thing under the bed, your neighbhour, odd sticker on a car.

Another idea could be broken things, except hearts.

Another thing would be buildings not horizontal, anyone can hold a camera at an angle, if I can do it, anyone can.

Another thing could be ugly photos, you know, the 38 others you took with the one you showed us.

Another thing could be just blurred photos, mostly the ones you took while falling over that rock, but don,t break a leg doin it, unless it's for the stange things idea.

Another idea could be minimalist photos, just one little thing, in a large photo, it could be colors, objects, an out of place object, an odd one in the group.

Another idea could be the street, what is moving in your streets, cars, trucks, squirrels, bikes, seagulls, pedestrians, unknown thing, blurry things.

bdean

Post Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:36 pm

The topics that Norm suggested sound interesting but I'm thinking that it would be hard for me to do 30 days of any of them (wasn't the Ground we walk on a recent WIC topic?). Someone else can choose and maybe I'll need to wait till February to join in.

Norm - want to take over this thread?

kstuebin

Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:46 am

They're always hard for me. Especially toward the end of the month. We've entered the gloom period of winter. What's light? It's gone now. No sun. For a couple months too so we can all become Vitamin D deficient.

I was trying to shoot film today at 1/25 because I wanted f8. This was ISO 400 film too. Did I mention it's really gloomy?

Digital of course isn't a problem. I don't need to stop down. But the temperature was -4F with the wind chill and I don't think any camera likes that.

And I had to make myself take a walk because I haven't stepped outside except to walk the dog for three days now.

Long story to say I'll probably skip this challenge too. It's not that I don't want to do it whatever it is. I just want to hibernate now. I will be following everyone's though.

sheils

Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:23 am

I don't know if I'd join in either. It has been 40C-42C every day since Christmas, Very difficult to go out and feel like photographing anything. Hopefully temps will drop to 30+ soon.

chenchena

Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:37 am

I would prefer the 5 senses

Mieke
A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his/her life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful. (free to J.W. von Goethe)

norm4fun

Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:38 pm

hmmm no dicision yet. What about b&w. True b&w, good for a gloomy season. Just set the camera on b&w and see the results. All you think about is the light, no more worryig about colors.

Happy 2013 everyone.

bdean

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:20 am

I like this suggestion, Norm. I could easily run with it with a new-to-me camera.

laryl

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:24 am

don't tempt me! I Love b/w and don't do enough of it. I don't think I could force myself to put the camera actually in b/w though :) I shoot in raw and love to use either topaz or nik to convert b/w's.
Link to my newest photos ... http://www.pbase.com/laryl/newest_photos

bdean

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:45 am

I don't think that there's a right or wrong way to shoot a b/w photo.

chenchena

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:07 am

Just to let you know that I have started a thread for the January challenge.
On suggesting of Brenda, as in Australia it is already 12 hours in the New Year.
Good luck to everybody with this exciting new challenge.
A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his/her life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful. (free to J.W. von Goethe)

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Any Thoughts for the January 2013 PAD?