Board index PBase PaD Discussion THINKING CAPS ON

PaD Discussion

THINKING CAPS ON

discuss photo-a-day projects
lainesphotos

THINKING CAPS ON

Post Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:06 pm

I KNOW WE STILL HAVE TWO WEEKS TO GO BEFORE APRIL BEGINS BUT RATHER THAN WAIT UNTIL A FEW DAYS BEFORE CAN WE START GATHERING IDEAS TOGETHER NOW :idea: :idea: :?: :?:

THERE MUST BE SOME WHO WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOMETHING NEW OR MAYBE REPEATED CHALLENGES...THERE HAVE BEEN MANY OVER THE YEARS...SO COME ON, DON'T BE SHY, SPEAK UP :D

WERNER...WHAT WAS THE CHALLENGE YOU PUT FORWARD SOME YEARS BACK WHERE SEVERAL PEOPLE CHOSE SUBJECTS ( WAS IT 5 PEOPLE ~ 5 DIFFERENT SUBJECTS = 30) :?: YOU CHOSE WHO THE 5 WOULD BE :?:

THIS WOULD BE MY CHOICE

WHAT'S YOURS :?: :?:

REMEMBER THERE IS A PAST MONTHLY CHALLENGES SINCE 2004 THREAD ON THIS FORUM TO CHECK THROUGH BUT IF YOU THINK OF SOMETHING NEW THAT WOULD BE GOOD TOO

brett1963

Re: THINKING CAPS ON

Post Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:42 pm

I haven't worn my thinking cap in awhile, so it may be a little rusty, but off the top of my head, I was thinking of an idea......We could do a challenge where, each day, you increse the number of things in your shot......for example,,, on day one you take a pictue of a single subject, like a flower or something. On day two you would have to find two things, like two people making out:) And you just keep increasing the number of things, until you reached 30 things, like 30 leaves falling from a tree..... It may be harder to do then it looks. Anyway, just thinking out loud, it won't hurt my feelings if we do that or not....just thought I would throw my 2 cents in:)

lainesphotos

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:22 am

brett1963 wrote:I haven't worn my thinking cap in awhile, so it may be a little rusty, but off the top of my head, I was thinking of an idea......We could do a challenge where, each day, you increse the number of things in your shot......for example,,, on day one you take a pictue of a single subject, like a flower or something. On day two you would have to find two things, like two people making out:) And you just keep increasing the number of things, until you reached 30 things, like 30 leaves falling from a tree..... It may be harder to do then it looks. Anyway, just thinking out loud, it won't hurt my feelings if we do that or not....just thought I would throw my 2 cents in:)

Excellent input Brett...and certainly something untried as far as I can remember and I like the concept...a lot :idea: :idea:

travelingrabbit

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:06 pm

I won't be able to participate in April as we will be entertaining out of town guests!
Hope you all have fun! :D

bdean

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:37 am

I've been thinking and thinking...Initially I was thinking of "Transitions" and then realized that it was done a few months ago (missed that month). Now I'm thinking maybe "Back to Basics", specifically Composition. Recently the Weekly Challenge Group did the topic "One and Done". This got me thinking to how often I take a photo and then later crop it to create the composition that I should've stopped and done in camera. I need to slow down...maybe a challenge of 1 month where we take photos but can only resize and possibly convert to B&W will remind all of us to slow down and go back to our roots...think film! (no other editing).

If you exclusively shoot in raw, you can process it but without any adjustments. I use GIMP which allows me to resize and then save it as a jpg but if you need to convert to a jpg and then resize, that's fine too.

1designguy

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:42 pm

Here are a few possible topics/themes:

1. Standing Out From the Crowd (unique, different, crowded gatherings, etc)

2. Go GREEN (color, environmental, envy, etc.)

3. Natures Gifts (all things natural)

...or...

4. Seasonal (trying to be inclusive of those on the way toward Summer as well as those heading out of it)

It will be a busy month for me with two weddings and Spring flurry at work but I will commit.

Scott

borisalex

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:32 am

Thanks Scott!

Your #2 and 4 I had already mentioned in the March discussion! :D

Of course your language is more straight forward, since English is not my first language, but you did it great! :D

I was thinking too, if we could make:

FACES

Edward Steichen once said: “Photography records the gamut of feelings written on the human face.
It is a major force in explaining man to man.”

imorozoff

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:51 am

I was thinking too, if we could make: FACES

While I love this idea, I don't know 30 people to photograph and who'll allow me to post their photo on a public web site.
Photographing and posting photos of strangers may not be a great idea and may even be illegal in some countries.

;-)

lynnh

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:46 pm

I would love to do faces, but I don't know enough people or get to a town with people except a couple times per month, so I don't think I could do a whole month.

The Standing out in a Crowd concept sounds interesting. I can see a lot of applications and opportunities in that.
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

chrishadden

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:52 pm

lynnh wrote:I would love to do faces, but I don't know enough people or get to a town with people except a couple times per month, so I don't think I could do a whole month.
The Standing out in a Crowd concept sounds interesting. I can see a lot of applications and opportunities in that.

Faces would be impossible for me too, often a day can pass without me seeing a soul but Pete! I'll go with the flow but having enjoyed the Pink Floyd month so much maybe one month we could do Queen song titles.

bdean

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Faces is indeed intriguing but I too see very few faces each day and so it would be a HUGE challenge for me.

Loving the idea of Nature's Gifts. Would be very appropriate given the early Spring that we in North America are experiencing yet pertinent to the rest of our Pbaser's around the world.

Brenda

1designguy

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:12 pm

imorozoff wrote:
I was thinking too, if we could make: FACES

While I love this idea, I don't know 30 people to photograph and who'll allow me to post their photo on a public web site.
Photographing and posting photos of strangers may not be a great idea and may even be illegal in some countries.

;-)

There could be some other interpretations of "Faces". You can take in the direction of architectural faces/facades, the surfaces of rock outcropping/mountains, or as a direction (ie. "I'm facing West watching the sunset"). Or how about seeing faces in inanimate objects (I know Jola D. had a gallery with these kinds of faces). I have snapped my ugly mug daily for a month in the past. Sometimes I think I have 30 or more faces :lol:

I think it is important to find a good subject and not be too limited in interpretation. Perhaps if someone takes a more obscure angle it would help to have an early description of the angle/interpretation. It can add to the (well) "challenge" of it after all.

I'm sure it will become obvious by the end of next week what the majority want. I often try to find something a little obscure to add as a layer to any challenge to help me work on something that I need to improve on for the month. Many months just keeping up is challenging (or at times impossible).

brett1963

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:35 pm

For me, faces would also be hard since I live on a small island. I like the Spring thing and also nature appeals to me, but I am willing to go along with what ever is decided.

jdonnelly

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:27 am

I would absolutely love doing "Faces!" But then photographing people is my favorite subject! I can also understand why some folks would have problems with it.

"Spring" would be totally wasted for me since there's really no such thing here in south Florida.

Here's a few additional ideas to throw in for consideration:

1. POV --- either high or low, but nothing is allowed if shot straight forward.
2. Old, broken, ruined, or abandoned
3. Hot and cold (not just the reference to temperature either)
4. 3 of a kind (Whatever the subject, there must be 3 of them)
5. Empty
6. Wheels
7. The 5 senses (taste, touch, sight, sound, and smell)

Janet

jolka

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:20 pm

1designguy wrote:Or how about seeing faces in inanimate objects (I know Jola D. had a gallery with these kinds of faces).

Yes, I see them everywhere :lol:

http://www.pbase.com/jolka/they_are_watching_us

Just to remind, we were doing Faces Challenge in March 2011. But the subject with broad interpretation suggested by Scott seems very attractive and I like it. There are faces in sculptures or monuments, in posters, billboards and ads in the streets, reflected in shopping windows or water. Many chances to see them, really :)

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion THINKING CAPS ON