Board index PBase PaD Discussion SUGGESTION FOR NOVEMBER CHALLENGE?

PaD Discussion

SUGGESTION FOR NOVEMBER CHALLENGE?

discuss photo-a-day projects
jdonnelly

Re: SUGGESTION FOR NOVEMBER CHALLENGE?

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:20 pm

Being a total newbie here, I have a question. What do you all do when there are two different, but valid, themes being discussed for the next month's challenge? How do you come to a final decision?

Thanks,
Janet

1designguy

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:49 pm

jdonnelly wrote:Being a total newbie here, I have a question. What do you all do when there are two different, but valid, themes being discussed for the next month's challenge? How do you come to a final decision?

Thanks,
Janet

The person who posted the idea usually tallies the input from this discussion thread and then posts/hosts the challenge. There have been times in the past when the were two different monthly challenges running simultaneously. One usually gets more participation than the other (luck of the draw). When we started doing these it kind of evolved out of PaDding with a person having a "personal" month long challenge and others joined in. The participation was smaller (we were usually able to link thumbnails of the others' images to our pictures each day).

I hope that helps answer your question (and maybe a bit more of just history).

janicecd

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:52 pm

I don't think that taking photos of "Our World" would be much of a challenge - I feel it is just what we are doing now - taking photos with an artful twist for this month's challenge.

We need a challenge to get it exciting, otherwise we will just be taking a photo of where we are.

I do like what Scott said:
I like the challenge of "night shots". While "My world" something that can be easily entertained and executed for a month (broad) I'm not sure how challenging I would find it (I will try to explain this a little so as to avoid confusion). I'm always looking for something to tweak/challenge/teach me in this PaD journey. I often am encouraged, inspired and learn from the interaction and camaraderie but the element of being "pushed" is usually what is the selling point.

Night photos don't have to be outside shots - there are many photos opportunities inside our homes for that - lights, reflections, the dark, early morning...

amoxtli

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:39 pm

When I suggested "My World" it was to incorporate the ideas put forth at that point:

amoxtli wrote: All the ideas offered so far "night photography", "food", "closeups", "abstracts", "double exposures" could be used to show your world. Just an idea.

In retrospect I should have been more specific, that it should not be a broad subject, but something more "challenging" for the participants utilizing the photographic techniques listed above. I just put "My World" out as a suggestion, but I would certainly be happy with night photography, and would consider any other idea put forth. Perhaps someone can come up with a completely different and challenging idea.

I really like the discussion that we are having on the monthly challenge. It's good to see so many participating in this.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

1designguy

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:38 pm

A good discussion for sure. Plenty of time left to think it through too. I hope everyone feels free to add input.

jdonnelly

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: November’s Challenge

I did some cool night photography many years ago when we were still using film, so it would definitely be a fun challenge today to attempt it digitally.

But, also, here are my thoughts regarding “My World.” I wasn’t thinking so much about taking a bunch of pictures around my house and yard, but rather in the wider area of the community in which I live (West Palm Beach). I’m sure many people here have never been to south Florida, so I’d like to show them what it’s like here. Hopefully they would learn something new and maybe even have some interest in coming here someday.

Just my 2 cents …… I’m good with whatever y’all decide!

Thanks,
Janet

patnighswander

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:35 am

My world is small since I am working double shifts lately but when I take off with the camera I go to my world... sometimes it is the lake... or sometimes limestone walls... buildings... not many flowers left in my world... some days I just look at the sky and drive in the direction of the best light... I like being with internet photographers because it is my world...my down town... my lake my favourite spots... If I got together with people from my town would they be stealing part of my world because I go places for good images... I probably have 9 favourite water places in 3 k from where I live.. In the fall my world includes the old psych hospital... they have nice trees there and it is on the lake... limestone and graffiti... great fall leaves and ruins of the old insane asylum... but soon I get bored and head town town to something else.. I have a great world.. I appreciate my back yard and have done that and know I can get a picture that is just as good there as anywhere if I see good but to keep creative I have to switch it about... I occasionally repeat where I went once rarely twice... and then find a new spot in my world.

travelingrabbit

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:12 am

I would like to just comment on the night photography.. there are MANY photo ops that everyone could do.. yes everyone. Long exposures require very little light and you would be so surprised at what amazing images you can make of just a window with some room light comeing through, a candle, the night sky even out in the desert here with no lights anywhere results in amazing sky photos of star trails for example. People are often afraid of night photography because they haven't pushed themselves to try it.. once you do you'd be amazed. how about opening the refridgerator door or microwave and little a little light shine on the floor? Nighttime in your home has so many possibilities, .. tonight look around and try something just to push yourselves a little, the soft light from the tv in a dark room, someone sleeping .... Outside, car headlights in the dark of night.. storefronts at night, how about shining a light into a tree at night and doing a long exposure? I could go on and on.

My world is not a bad idea .. I just wanted to give some food for thought to those that say they aren't sure about night photography.

Laryl is absolutely correct ~ night shots are much more than venturing outside your home. Our homes interiors offer us a plethora of things to shoot! :D There are also dark & moody restaurant and shop interiors, romantic candlelight, moon & stars, etc. And what about sunset & sunrise shots? Couldn't they also be included as they are on the cusp of darkness...

The purpose of participating in a monthly Challenge is to challenge yourself ~ not just take pretty pictures of anything and everything that makes up your own personal world.

I don't mean to step on any toes here; just adding my 2 cents worth!

kstuebin

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:06 pm

As I've mentioned, I live in a rural area where there are no lights, no restaurants and virtually no traffic. I am in the nearest town during the day when I work. Then I go home. I don't go back and I don't plan on going back. I live in a trailer. It is not interesting and it is dark. In fact, I could take night shots during the day. Maybe, I lack imagination but finding all my flashlights will not be on my to do list. :) I took a photo recently of an LED night light thinking that would be cool. It wasn't. I'm sorry. There just aren't "many photo ops" for me. I have been shooting since I was a kid and I think I can call this one accurately.

And there is a distinct advantage for people who do live in urban areas for night photography. In fact, some of them have galleries of night photos so I fail to see how that is challenging for them. It would be like announcing the challenge was "landscapes." I would have the home court advantage there so there will always be topics where some are challenged, some are not and some just can't do them at all.

I will try to get a few but I can't do a whole month. And I will follow the challenge entries too.

borisalex

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:29 pm

jdonnelly wrote:Being a total newbie here, I have a question. What do you all do when there are two different, but valid, themes being discussed for the next month's challenge? How do you come to a final decision?

Thanks,
Janet

Great question, Janet!!!

mairead

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:15 pm

I haven't taken part in a monthly challenge for a while, mainly due to lack of time, not so much for photography but for keeping up viewing everyone's pics and commenting. I feel I'd like to join in again this month and
notice there a couple of ideas have popped up. Just wondering if it would not be possible to marry the two. We could have 'My World', either the personal world which is our home, garden, workplace or our wider community, and then if we wanted it could be 'My World by Night' which would cater for those who want to do night photography.
I'm starting a week's holiday so I feel this may give me time to participate.
Have a nice weekend everyone
Mairéad

amoxtli

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:06 pm

mairead wrote:I haven't taken part in a monthly challenge for a while, mainly due to lack of time, not so much for photography but for keeping up viewing everyone's pics and commenting. I feel I'd like to join in again this month and
notice there a couple of ideas have popped up. Just wondering if it would not be possible to marry the two. We could have 'My World', either the personal world which is our home, garden, workplace or our wider community, and then if we wanted it could be 'My World by Night' which would cater for those who want to do night photography.
I'm starting a week's holiday so I feel this may give me time to participate.
Have a nice weekend everyone
Mairéad

That's precisely what I was trying to do when I suggested "My World", to incorporate the ideas that had been put forth: "night photography", "food", "closeups", "abstracts", "double exposures" etc. The drawback of "My World" is of course it's very broad, but participants could make it as challenging as they would want, by doing something specific.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

patnighswander

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:45 am

I think there is lots of possibility in night photography... light escaping from a barn at long exposure... car lights leaving red ribbons in the distance but lets wait until it gets dark a 4 p.m. I don't get to go out shooting twice a day... and soon enough it will feel dark all day long to me... sorry down under people but it is spring for you so it shouldn't matter... also I do have to learn to be more brave going out at night place alone as a women... not as easy as men... I have been hassled before doing night shots..but better than my back yard... which is a great teaching lesson for young beginners..me I get bored on anything after twice... after once... I just think of new things to stay creative or new places..

borisalex

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:55 am

Why don´t you make booktitles?

Walter is so literate, he could come easily with a list of books and the challenge would be to shoot like bookcovers! Just came to my mind after my morning cup of coffee!

Have all a great weekend!
Cheers
Boris

jeanb

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:00 pm

I would really go for 'My World'. Each of us sees our world in a far different way and to capture such variety so that we can intrude and learn from other 'Worlds' would be a great idea.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase PaD Discussion SUGGESTION FOR NOVEMBER CHALLENGE?