Board index PBase PaD Discussion SUGGESTION FOR NOVEMBER CHALLENGE?

PaD Discussion

SUGGESTION FOR NOVEMBER CHALLENGE?

discuss photo-a-day projects
jolka

Re: SUGGESTION FOR NOVEMBER CHALLENGE?

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:53 pm

I like "animal shots" theme. "My world" is interesting as well but I will be off my place almost half of November so I could not post. I will rather wait what you all decide to do and will see if I can participate.

kstuebin

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:31 pm

jolka wrote:I like "animal shots" theme. "My world" is interesting as well but I will be off my place almost half of November so I could not post. I will rather wait what you all decide to do and will see if I can participate.

"My World" could refer to your world wherever you are.

I love animals as everyone knows from my many photos of Petie and the cats. But I wouldn't want to shoot them for 30 days straight. As for wildlife, unless you live near a zoo, that is not easy. Ditto for birds. No bird feeder, no birds. I know the idea is to step outside your comfort zone but with a more general theme like "My World," people could pick their own metatheme of something they wouldn't ordinarily photograph. Just a thought.

johnking

Post Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:17 pm

I still like "My World" because it can be as specific or as general as people wish. I think it would be fun to do and very enjoyable to see everyone else's "world" wherever they are.

jdonnelly

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:11 am

I agree with John. In the short time I've been with you all, I realize that we are from "all over the world."
I would love to see more of what life is like where ever you are.
"My World" gets my vote.

chenchena

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:36 am

I live in a city of more then 4 million people. This suggests that there will always be somewhere to make a night shot. But...we are in out summer time period, so that means that dusk and night will come in later and later. And as soon as the night falls then it is really very dark. I can see millions of stars when it is a clear night, but mostly my area is sparsely lit with a lamp of two, so not much to try some night shots. And I don't like to travel down to the CBD at late evening for some shots. Therefore I like My world, and we did that last December too and it can get as creative as it can be.
Cheers Mike
A (wo)man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his/her life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful. (free to J.W. von Goethe)

dawnb

Post Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:31 pm

I like the idea of My World and would like to join in again for November. It's been a long time since I did a challenge!

Dawn

cynthia1

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:43 am

Wow, I did not realize so many people did not have the opportunity for night photography -- too bad and yes, it might be better in December, though I get really tired of Christmas light shots.

I like MY WORLD but how about narrowing it to a mile or two from home and make it MY BACKYARD.

Cindy

kstuebin

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:41 am

cynthia1 wrote:Wow, I did not realize so many people did not have the opportunity for night photography -- too bad and yes, it might be better in December, though I get really tired of Christmas light shots.

I like MY WORLD but how about narrowing it to a mile or two from home and make it MY BACKYARD.

Cindy

Anyone in a rural area is going to have problems because there is no light source to shoot. I hate to sound like I am attacking all your suggestions. I don't mean to. However, I am NOT shooting where I live unless it is very abstract. This is the internet. There are crazy people out there. There are crazy people locally who post on my Pbase galleries. I am just not comfortable giving a lot of information on where I live so some whack job can track me down. It happens.

Of course, I will go along with whatever everyone decides and if I can't participate for a whole month, I'll just do it when I can.

patnighswander

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:18 pm

I would hope that my world could include a few miles radius.... As crazy as it sounds my back yard is not a safe place for taking pictures right now since I live in an apartment building and I don't like some people that have been around to see my camera equipment and possibly try a break in to my place... so I am not even doing bird shots lately... there is some people around I Don't trust... I go to the lake about 2 or 3 k away

wip

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:03 pm

I would like to just comment on the night photography.. there are MANY photo ops that everyone could do.. yes everyone. Long exposures require very little light and you would be so surprised at what amazing images you can make of just a window with some room light comeing through, a candle, the night sky even out in the desert here with no lights anywhere results in amazing sky photos of star trails for example. People are often afraid of night photography because they haven't pushed themselves to try it.. once you do you'd be amazed. how about opening the refridgerator door or microwave and little a little light shine on the floor? Nighttime in your home has so many possibilities, .. tonight look around and try something just to push yourselves a little, the soft light from the tv in a dark room, someone sleeping :) .... Outside, car headlights in the dark of night.. storefronts at night, how about shining a light into a tree at night and doing a long exposure? I could go on and on.

My world is not a bad idea .. I just wanted to give some food for thought to those that say they aren't sure about night photography.

kstuebin

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:18 pm

Many of us have jobs and families. Yes, night shots can be done by anyone with people who live in well lit urban or suburban areas having many opportunities. For the rest of us who are in unlit by artificial light areas, it would require a lot of set up to get a night shot. Maybe we're not afraid as much as too busy to deal with it. I don't think I can do 30 photos inside. I don't care how I do it. And I would still have to use a tripod.

MY World can be anything you want including night shots which gives those of us who can't do them for various reasons including the fact the southern hemisphere now has shorter not longer nights a chance to participate.

laryl

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:29 pm

Karen, that widp post was mine (didn't realize I was logged into my group ops!) I understand people have jobs and families... I was only hoping to inspire. I don't think living in an urban area is relevant at all, I tried to give ideas inside your own home, that could easily be done in the evenings when job and family are done for the day. Being too busy is a valid reason not to do a monthly theme, I passed this month because of that. Sorry if my post offended you, it sounds like it did. I just don't see why anyone "can't" do night shots and again was only trying to inspire. Sorry
Link to my newest photos ... http://www.pbase.com/laryl/newest_photos

kstuebin

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:56 pm

laryl wrote:Karen, that widp post was mine (didn't realize I was logged into my group ops!) I understand people have jobs and families... I was only hoping to inspire. I don't think living in an urban area is relevant at all, I tried to give ideas inside your own home, that could easily be done in the evenings when job and family are done for the day. Being too busy is a valid reason not to do a monthly theme, I passed this month because of that. Sorry if my post offended you, it sounds like it did. I just don't see why anyone "can't" do night shots and again was only trying to inspire. Sorry

No, I wasn't offended at all. I'm sorry if I sounded defensive. I already said that if the challenge was night shots then I would get a few. I just can't do 30 without it taking a lot of time I don't have. I do the challenge for my PAD gallery so I am taking a different photo every day. I'm not taking 10 a day and then posting them. I realize I don't have to do it as a PAD gallery but I want to do a PAD because it makes me shoot every day so I combine it with the challenge when I can.

I have done night shots. And yes, anyone can do them. It just seems it's not inspiring a lot of people as a challenge. Different people have different reasons why it will be hard for them and have posted them.

I don't want this to turn into some big deal because whoever it is that decides the challenges will decide what they decide and then each person can decide whether they want to do it or not. And that was a lot of "decides" in one sentence. :)

laryl

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:07 pm

no prob! yep all about decisions, and really I was off topic commenting on night shots when it looks like we are going in the other direction anyway, which is a good direction! :) Hope you have a good November and keep shooting everyday!
Link to my newest photos ... http://www.pbase.com/laryl/newest_photos

1designguy

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:50 pm

I like the challenge of "night shots". While "My world" something that can be easily entertained and executed for a month (broad) I'm not sure how challenging I would find it (I will try to explain this a little so as to avoid confusion). I'm always looking for something to tweak/challenge/teach me in this PaD journey. I often am encouraged, inspired and learn from the interaction and camaraderie but the element of being "pushed" is usually what is the selling point.

I remember several months back joining the June: "Film/Movie Titles" with my own personal twist/challenge of doing SPs of movie posters from some of my favorite films for the whole month. About several days into it I thought I had bit off more than I could chew. I pushed through the month and felt the reward of accomplishing a goal and learned a lot in the process (and a lot about processing). That is the element I am trying to describe.

Whichever way the group goes I am sure it will be a good month. I hope everyone understands that participation (or the lack of) in these challenges is rarely because of "who is playing along" but often about a need for something personally, the lack of time or at times a lack of connection. Thanks to everyone who keeps pushing forward.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase PaD Discussion SUGGESTION FOR NOVEMBER CHALLENGE?