Board index PBase PaD Discussion international Pbase meet-up in London March5-6

PaD Discussion

international Pbase meet-up in London March5-6

discuss photo-a-day projects
enjayel

Re: international Pbase meet-up in London March5-6

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:29 pm

Whew! that is a list.. but it's a good starting point...
speaking of, my starting point will likely be in the vicinity of Paddington..
I will be booking a hotel this weekend

reddishtiger

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:48 am

I'm in :D

captain_superlekker

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:49 pm

I was just throwing a few ideas into the ring, and have no ambition to go on a whistlestop tour! We might actually want to photograph something, and plenty of time will be required to keep everyone happy with what they want to shoot, what with taking 150 auto-bracket exposures of some colourful reflection... I'll be coming from Ealing, so Paddington would work well for me (and they got a Krispy Kreme!)
Nice to see Lee is coming, too!

barbara_heide

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:58 pm

sounds great... markets are good...
and meet-up near a station in a place being able to deal with such a crowd sounds sensible.
do we need to book a restaurant for the evening too???
Any suggestions are welcome!

I'm so happy to see you all, I will follow you wherever you go...lol
I don't have any special requirements and I'm very happy for all your suggestions!

cheers
Barbara

(Paddington would we extremely suitable for me too... and Portobello???)

captain_superlekker

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:21 pm

No special requirements either... only special needs. Paddington sounds good. Its quite civilized. But happy to go wherever people wanna gather.

Not sure about din'dins in evening. City Centre/West End will be busy so I suggest booking probably will be required especially for a larger group.

clickaway

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:05 pm

If we choose to visit Portobello market (and why not?), we're likely to loose each other and so I suggest we have a back-up plan to meet at a pub/cafe/whatever at a specified time. I say that as I think there may well be quite a few of us and we'll all want to stop and start at different places and it can get quite crowded.

Don't think any previous PBase meet has explored this area before (apart from Anja and I of course!)

Ray

barbara_heide

Post Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:28 pm

clickaway wrote:If we choose to visit Portobello market (and why not?), we're likely to loose each other and so I suggest we have a back-up plan to meet at a pub/cafe/whatever at a specified time. I say that as I think there may well be quite a few of us and we'll all want to stop and start at different places and it can get quite crowded.

Don't think any previous PBase meet has explored this area before (apart from Anja and I of course!)

Ray

Oh yes Ray! you are absolutely right...
If someone knows a place with an address...
suggestions for dinner are very welcome too.

cheers

Barbara

captain_superlekker

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:54 pm

I can't believe no one's comiong forward with a restaurant. Do you rely on the Geordies to come up with a culinary treat? For dinner, if people prefer to stay in the area, I suggest Khan's. You may guess it's an Indian Restaurant. It's a West London tradition and should please any one except those with an aversion to curry. Very reasonably priced it is, too.

Another nice option in the area is the Maroush Group of Restaurants, most of them on Edgware Road. Maroush I is a bit more classy and has live belly dancing, bear in mind it some of them may well be teetotal - not Maroush I, though . There are many other Lebanese restaurants on Edgware Road, including some really nice ones whose names I forgot.

Should we venture South of the River, you would have the chance to sample the best cuisine in the world. Katzenjammers is a Bavarian Beer vault with food and highly recommended.

See, no Geordie grub here.

As for cafes near Portobello, this is slightly tricky - most of them are small and crowded and may not cater to a large group of DSLR-wielding camera nutters. There are the usual chains on Notting Hill Gate Tube Station, but it's a long walk all the way back from Portobello Road. Halfway up the Road, there is posho Westbourne Grove with Tom's Deli at 223, or a little closer, the Portobello Cinema, the oldest functioning Cinema in the UK at 191 Portobello Road - it has a bar, but the bar area is rather small. The market Bar on 242 Portobello Road is a decent pub - easy to find because its near the Westway overpass. There is also a Coffee Republic nearby but i am unsure of the house number.

If we were to do Portobello, i would suggest a nice stroll along Portobello, then congregate for coffee/drink, then wander along the Westway to Ladbroke Grove for a tube or bus into town. A worthwile detour is the Trellick Tower, a famous 1970's Brutalist Landmark built by Erno Goldfinger.

If more classical picturesque scenes are required, and may I suggest many of you have visited the famous London South Bank, the more Southwestern bank of Battersea, Battersea Park and the Albert Bridge may suit.

Khan's
13-15 Westbourne Grove
London

Maroush
I21 Edgware Road
LondonW2 Tel: 020 7723 0773

Katzenjammers
24 Southwark Street London SE1

enjayel

Post Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:18 am

Anja's suggestions for Indian sounds good,

and here are a few "pub/winebar" options within striking distance, via the VIEW (www.viewlondon.co.uk)
- all have had decent reviews in the last few years:

The Union, 4 Sheldon Square
Gyngleboy, a wine bar at 27 Spring Street (but they only have 30 seats in the place... so we'd have to reserve)
The Bridge House, 13 Westbourne Terrace
All Bar One, 126-128 Notting Hill Gate,
The Castle, 100 Holland Park Avenue,

cheers!
nancy

captain_superlekker

Post Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:35 pm

alreet, looks like we're not gonna starve. I am excited about going doonLondon after months of gruel and stottie cake up 'ere, whey aye.

barbara_heide

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:41 pm

lovely!! Indian is great...

cheers
Barbara

lisamidi

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Yummy, love indian too!!!
Lisa

robertwhite

Post Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:40 am

Helloo Looks I will be coming down on the Sat only looking forward to seeing you all
Regards Bob :)

barbara_heide

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:02 pm

that's good news Bob! Welcome on bord!

cheers
Barbara

abrazo

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi folks - I can make it to the big city! 'Fraid I won't be able to do much walking - as some of you already know I'm waiting to have surgery on my knee - but I'll join in as much as I can.
Can't wait to see friends old and new!!

Ann :)

PreviousNext

Board index PBase PaD Discussion international Pbase meet-up in London March5-6