PaD Discussion

Possible Monthly December Challenge

discuss photo-a-day projects
borisalex

Re: Possible Monthly December Challenge

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:17 pm

I have a suggestion for the December´s challenge!!! :D

"Advent calender"

An Advent calendar is a special calendar which is used to count or celebrate the days of Advent in anticipation of Christmas. Some calendars are strictly religious, whereas others are secular in content. Despite the name, most commercially available Advent calendars begin on December 1, regardless of when Advent begins, which can be as early as November 27 and as late as December 3.
Today, most advent calendars are made for children. Many take the form of a large rectangular card with many "windows", one of which is opened every day during Advent. In less elaborate calendars, each window opens to reveal an image, a poem, or part of a story such as the Nativity story itself. More elaborate Advent calendars have a small gift concealed in each window, such as a toy or a chocolate item. I think in the US they use stockings on a fireplace to put something in there till christmas day.

We can post for every day till December 24th one image of "your world" in this month, how you celebrate and contemplate this time of year! What do you do,how to you decorate your house, the preperations, like baking cookies, shopping etc.! How you gather with friends and family! For the days after Christmas, this time we call here "between the years", you can post here how you celebrated Christmas or what you did, even what your presents were (new lenses :D ! )Walking in the snow with friends, having had a coffetable, went for dinners, etc.!!!!!!!!!

I think this is an broad and interesting theme und should be fun! So take it easy, while getting ready for Christmas!!

More information on Advent calender, you can read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent_calendar

So let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions!!!

Cheers Boris
Last edited by borisalex on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yazziegirl

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:47 pm

I like Boris' idea a lot. I like the idea of the 1001 nights, but it is just not practical for me. I would love to join you Boris!

lainesphotos

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:24 pm

Three ideas have been suggested so far.....
Honour/Honor other Pbasers
1001 Nights
Advent Calender..
all are great suggestions but I know I couldn't do justice to the first 2 on the list but I could mange the 3rd and will join you if it is the one chosen to do.

Laine :)

tinkettle

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:34 pm

December is a time of short days and long nights (if you live in the northern hemisphere anyway) - how about a theme of low light and night time shots. The opportunities are endless and it doesn't restrict us northern hemisphere types to the weekends for a glimpse of daylight. Simple idea but I bet it would get a few of out there when otherwise we might stay tucked up at home!

tinkettle

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:36 pm

PS, Proud owner of a new EOS 7D and cant wait to get out there!
(How excited........quite alot......)

jolka

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:32 pm

My opinnion is that Boris's idea is the most suitable for December, plus it is quite simple to do for all of us, while busy with Chrismas so close ahead.
While living in different climate and culture conditions, it will be very interesting to see how others anticipate and celebrate Christmas time, sending and getting Xmas cards, shopping, decorating, cooking, eating, and then spending time with children, grandchildren, friends, going walking, skiing, swimming, whatever :)

I would join "Advent calendar" challenge with pleasure.

"Low light and night time shots" is still a great idea for January, then :)

janicecd

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:49 pm

The "Advent calendar" challenge sounds good for me.

It could be like a daily pre-Christmas diary of how we get ready for the Christmas ahead.

And thank you all for your visits and comments on my first challenge (November). I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you all and seeing your photos...

norm4fun

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi, I'll pass over december, those titles are very complicated, and no one in family wants to model. it is a bit busy in december for models photos for me.

borisalex

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:10 pm

tinkettle wrote:PS, Proud owner of a new EOS 7D and cant wait to get out there!
(How excited........quite alot......)

Hi, I think your 7D will to great in advent calender, since low light and night shots are so great for the month of December, just give it the seasonal feeling!

Cheers
Boris

tinkettle

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:39 pm

I'm good to go with the advent calender, early snow in the UK should help!

mairead

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:48 pm

I haven't done a challenge in a while but this one sounds too good to miss.
So, count me in.

lynnh

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:45 pm

I love the Tales of Arabian Nights, Ali Baba, Voyage of Sinbad. Can we do this challenge in 2011, when most of us have more time??
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

texces

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:55 pm

I could do one on the Advent.....because working two jobs and other stuff, this would be easier for me this month. So, I'll participate if we decide on that. I'm with Lynn, I'd like to do the 1001 but maybe after the first of the year? Just no time right now.

Cindi

smackay

Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:26 pm

I like the Advent /Christmas idea or the Arabian nights suggestion; just tell us what the challenge will be; being busy we all can only do what we can. Sandra

borisalex

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:53 am

lynnh wrote:I love the Tales of Arabian Nights, Ali Baba, Voyage of Sinbad. Can we do this challenge in 2011, when most of us have more time??

I think that is a good idea!

Previous

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Possible Monthly December Challenge