Board index PBase PaD Discussion Weekly Challenge

PaD Discussion

Weekly Challenge

discuss photo-a-day projects
1designguy

Weekly Challenge

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:12 pm

I believe many are saddened to see the end of the ongoing TITC (Thursday Challenge). It has been a good long run. Bev and Lee definitely gave us plenty to work with over the past five years. I know it has helped me to work angles and think laterally. That has been one of the great learning elements here on Pbase.

That being said, I am interested in finding a way to push this forward. I think weekly challenges continue to:

provide opportunities for growth
    promote community (an area that has taken a hit on Pbase in the last year) through interaction
    expose our ideas to others (and us to their ideas)
    give us short term goals that break the PaD year in to more manageable portions (for those doing a PaD)

I know many of you like me at times find a weekday challenge to be a logistical nightmare. Maybe it is time to move this to another day and press on. Perhaps a Sunday challenge or a Monday (allowing the weekend to come up with an image for the theme posted at the end of the week). I would lean towards the latter because I won't be taking away from my family time to post and comment.

If anyone else thinks this is a good idea, please post. Also add any ideas you might have that would add to this discussion. I am willing to take part in heading this up.

Scott
Last edited by 1designguy on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sueymarky

Re: Weekly Challenge

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:27 pm

I like this idea with Sunday getting ready for Monday Challenge. (Perhaps shoot the topic on the weekend and upload for Monday?)
Often weekends are hectic and so Scott's idea is great.
- sue anne

mairead

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:32 pm

I agree that the weekly challenge helped many of us to get out of our comfort zones, think creatively and learn new skills.
My own suggestion is that we'd post a pic taken at the weekend on Sunday night/Monday morning which would reflect
the weekend gone by. It could be a shot taken while hiking in spectacular scenery or gardening at home so it would
give everyone the opportunity to particpate. Perhaps it could be called 'One from the Weekend' featuring our
favourite shot taken Friday to Sunday.

1designguy

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:12 pm

sueymarky wrote:I like this idea with Sunday getting ready for Monday Challenge. (Perhaps shoot the topic on the weekend and upload for Monday?)
Often weekends are hectic and so Scott's idea is great.
- sue anne

Yes. I would love to take the pressure off. Post the topic Friday. Allow all weekend to come up with it casually and post Monday (or really anytime Sunday through Monday). I know for me it would give broader opportunities/locations to interpret a theme.

mairead wrote:we'd post a pic taken at the weekend on Sunday night/Monday morning which would reflect
the weekend gone by.

Yes. I think flexibility is essential. I love shooting on weekend. I get to hike with my family. I see a more casual side of them for portraits. I go more places. I just get out more. I'm less stressed. I would not care if people started posting anytime during the weekend. I just struggle to get much time on Pbase until late Sunday or Monday (catching up).

This can work!

chrishadden

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:17 pm

I certainly think we should continue to have a weekly 'challenge' of some sort, for all the reasons given by Scott.
I would be very happy with the 'take at the weekend' posting during your own 24 hour Monday period.
But perhaps we should still have a subject around which to base the image... :?:...I'm sure between us we can come up with endless ideas.
It will be interesting to see the results that come from this discussion.
Chris

abrazo

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:23 pm

I like the proposed timescale and think that it will work well for the majority. As to the subject, the Thursday Challenges were

subject specific though they allowed for a multitude of lateral thinking. This is the strength of a "topic" It gets the brain working outside the

normal everyday subjects (not that there is anything wrong with them!) and truly provides a challenge photographically and mentally, so I personally would be sad to see the topic element lost.

Ann :)

k_grqst

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:28 pm

I like the idea of a weekender challenge- taking a picture over the weekend and posting on Mondays. It seems a nice way to keep things going.

I'm sure there are lots of people with ideas for challenges- would you like to have challenge ideas sent to you?

1designguy

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:36 pm

k_grqst wrote:I like the idea of a weekender challenge- taking a picture over the weekend and posting on Mondays. It seems a nice way to keep things going.

I'm sure there are lots of people with ideas for challenges- would you like to have challenge ideas sent to you?

I would gladly handle this from my end. I would need someone to help and brainstorm with. I think Lee and Bev were smart to team up on the TITC.

If you want to throw out topics/themes (I think Ann and Chris are right), feel free to post them in this forum topic and/or Pmail them to me. I'll be glad to pull them together as a resource.

Keep stirring the pot ;-)

amoxtli

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:47 pm

The Monday Challenge sounds fine with me Scott. Thanks for taking the initiative.

I'll try to come with some ideas if you like. :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

1designguy

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:58 pm

amoxtli wrote:The Monday Challenge sounds fine with me Scott. Thanks for taking the initiative.

I'll try to come with some ideas if you like. :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Walter O. Koenig (amoxtli) has offered to help co host. Excellent. This is starting to evolve.

Keep on chatting and providing feedback.

tygrys50

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:23 pm

:roll:

shankins

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:53 pm

I love the idea of continuing the weekly challenges (whichever day you choose is fine with me).
Maybe as the moderator you can choose a 'winner' each week and that person can come up with the next topic to shoot.

jasana

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:06 pm

Great idea! I'm looking forward to it. Topic posted on Friday, photo taken over the weekend, submitting it for Monday.

lisamidi

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi everyone,
as I have not yet participated in the weekly topic but like the idea, I wonder if there is a list of themes already done these last years...first to see some examples to understand how it works and second: why not give some of these a second chance?
I think that this would bring different ideas some years later for those you participated in the past and could work for those who are newcomers?
Of course there is the copyright question... :)
Lisa

smackay

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:10 pm

As a newcomer to PBase I was very disappointed to find the thursday challnge was not continuing, and i am glad someone has picked up the challenge; posting the topic on friday and giving us the weekend to take the pic. sounds great. Thanks so much,looking forward to more challenges; Sandra .

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion Weekly Challenge