Board index PBase PaD Discussion here is my shot from today... here is why I post it here..

PaD Discussion

here is my shot from today... here is why I post it here..

discuss photo-a-day projects
djarvik

here is my shot from today... here is why I post it here..

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:57 pm

I took my shot early in the morning and then posted, well... there are not a lot of people at that time online, I guess, it received 10 views..
:)

Well I thought it's a great shot, but maybe I thought wrong...
here is the link:
http://www.pbase.com/image/28431168

Please let me know what oyu think..

Now, For the second issue I have :)
There are too many people setting there regular gallerys as "PaD" and it shows up in the page that Slug created, I do NOT leave comments for thouse shots (altho I have to admit some of them are darn good!), I think is just not right what they do., Maybe a filter will solve that?, I don't know.
Something has to be done!

gpaai

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:56 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are many photos I have taken that I thought, "People are gonna love this!" I get maybe 5 or 6 views.

Then on a photo I hesitate to post because I think it sucks, others go nuts over it.

You can never tell.

Gary
I love photoshopography.......

shaun

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:23 pm

Yes Alon, I've noticed that quite a bit. Perhaps a filter that only accepts photos with current dates attached to the exif data? If it wasn't taken that day, then it shouldn't show up in the recent pad upload gallery.

djarvik

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:26 pm

shaun wrote:Yes Alon, I've noticed that quite a bit. Perhaps a filter that only accepts photos with current dates attached to the exif data? If it wasn't taken that day, then it shouldn't show up in the recent pad upload gallery.

amen to that!
that's what I'm talking about!

Slug? can you respond to that? can/will something be done?

thanx
Alon

ziggers

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:47 pm

Wait a minute -- what about those of us who use the "Save for Web" feature to make our images smaller in file size -- that strips the exif data right out of the photo.

I use Save for Web for two reasons:

-- One: to save my space in my galleries
-- and Two: to respect people who still use dial up and don't want to wait forever for large file size data to load.

I don't think a filter to check exif data for dates would be good at all...

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it is annoying to try and get around to all the new uploads when there are a bunch of NON pad people in the meta gallery, but surely there must be a better way to take care of it.

angela

djarvik

Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:53 pm

angela
you got a point :?

hm... let's come up with something else...

how about; creat a Button, that will report a person to "Slug" and he will put a ban on theri account, so they will not be able to use a PaD feture.

does it makes sence??

brother_mark

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:43 pm

Well, this has been discussed some before. It is the reason I started my links gallery, in your absence. The links galleries help people find PAD or nearly PAD galleries. But they aren't as cool as seeing the latest image.

Non-paders know that the meta-gallery is the best way to get their photos seen short of getting to the top of the popular gallery/photo. Trying to kick them out will be a really ugly scene.

Another disadvantage of the meta-gallery is that people tend to look only at the "good" photos or appealing photos. No doubt Alon your tulip got few hits because it's not an eye-catcher. Its a perfectly fine pic, but people are looking at so many photos in the meta-gallery that they just skip "ordinary" shots. (I have plenty of them and can attest from personal experience.) Shoot something completely stupid like a bowl of ice cream and people will be curious. I keep reminding myself, it's not about hits, at least not for PAD. It's about me taking a photo a day, and maybe even a good one. Good for me. Interesting for me.

I often post around 10:30pm EST. If the photo has few hits by the time I go off-line at say midnight, it will prove to be either average or lame for hits. But if it has more than 30 hits by midnight, it will break 100 in 24 hours or less.

I visit people from my favorites list and the commenters on my photos. When I visit my favorites I hit every photo since my last visit, no matter it's quality and leave a comment on those I have something to say about. I feel it's a much more personal way to view PAD galleries. Creaming the meta-gallery misses some good photos and worse, average photos that have a story behind them.

djarvik

Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:16 pm

Mark- you absolutly right! I agree 100%.

I do the same thing, first I go thru my favorites, then move on to the meta gallery (ofcource clicking on the shots that catch my eye), and then I use my links page.

You said it right, "it's not about hits" , but as an Artist, you want to see what people think about your work, you want to let people see it! ...after all you do post them on the web and not printing them and leaving at home, right?

So, I say Let's use all 3 methods: Links pages, Favorites and Meta gallery. :)

Best Regards!
Alon

Board index PBase PaD Discussion here is my shot from today... here is why I post it here..