Board index PBase PaD Discussion More constructive feedback?

PaD Discussion

More constructive feedback?

discuss photo-a-day projects
lizardbeth

More constructive feedback?

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:06 pm

I wonder if we couldn't perhaps be a bit more critical when commenting on each others work? Don't you sometimes look at a picture and think of something that could have made it better? I know this is a wonderful, thoughtful and gentle community and I love that, but if the comments are always flattering we might miss out on some learning.

like:

i think if you'd lowered the perspective;
looks a bit underexposed to me;
maybe a less tight crop;
color balance looks green;

things we might not have noticed or had the eye to see.

There are some really talented people in this group and I'd sure appreciate their insight.

typicalsloan

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:57 pm

Ive been thinking that too, I would like to see the rating system photosig.com uses implemented here. Then this would be ,hands down, the best photo site on the web.

sloopsailor

I agree

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:09 pm

I have only made one or two suggestions and hesitated in doing so. I feel constructive criticism is a good thing. Perhaps there could be an additional line added to comments. A choice called criticism that takes you to another screen with listings showing up like the comments. A separate screen would make it possible to wade throught the critisisms or not. Others could read the critisims if they choose.

procyon_g

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:10 pm

I don't know about a rating system. After all the foofarah we had over the popularity contest recently, I think that a rating system would be a disaster. However, constructive comments would be very nice. It's possible to be encouraging and supportive and still be critical if the comments are kept to the photograph. As it is now, if I want critiques, I have to post on another forum. (I won't mention the name because I don't think that is proper netiquette).

dazedgonebye

Appropriate criticism.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:17 pm

I haven't had much luck giving constructive criticism. Not everyone wants it and I'm sure I offended a person or two when I gave it.
How about a traffic light system.
Red means: Be gentle with me baby. :oops:
Yellow means: Share your feelings. :wink:
Green means: Give it to me straight Doc. :evil:

procyon_g

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:28 pm

Very good idea, dgb. A very simple system that they use on the Sony Talk Forum (on PBase) is for the photographer to put an asterisk (*) next to the title of their photo if they want the comments to be more "critical". Sometimes I know that there is something "off" with one of my photos but I can't put my finger on it, and other times I'm feeling frustrated and just want some encouragement.

Gregg

mysticchyna

my two cents

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:29 pm

I think the "traffic light" system is good...a rating thing might be over the top. A seperate section for comments about technique, etc is also a good idea.
My Eyes R My Camera....I behold the world within my lens..........
--lisa

andesheng

Use the PM system

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:39 pm

I have both received - and given - constructive critiques of photos & galleries, and my preference is to do that via private messages. It is just so much more respectful to our fellow photographers to handle it that way. And I have carried on extensive discussions with fellow pbasers that got started from an initial PM contact - we usually switch to our personal email addresses for convenience.

Mark

adalberto_tiburzi

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:17 pm

:idea: Could we use the copyright line to explain what kind of comments we prefer.
Adal.

auriga

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:27 pm

I agree with the fact that a rating system wouldn't be a good idea, would just be a popularity thing and which photo is best all over again. As far as constructive crticism goes, I'm one of those people that doesn't like it. If I want an opinion, I'll ask for it. For the most part, I know what could have been done to make a photo look better and usually don't need or want someone else to tell me.
I like the idea of being able to put on your page that constructive criricism is encouraged and welcomed, just like as Adal just stated, putting it in the copyright area or one of the other blank columns. I think that would work well.

Megan

http://www.pbase.com/auriga
Last edited by auriga on Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

procyon_g

Re: Use the PM system

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:05 pm

andesheng wrote:...my preference is to do that via private messages. It is just so much more respectful to our fellow photographers to handle it that way.
Mark

That's a good idea. It would be a better way to get a dialog going. We could all learn a lot from the experience.

Gregg

dazedgonebye

Copyright area

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:20 pm

This is what it looks like in the copyrigth area: http://www.pbase.com/image/27218505
It sort of gets lost, but might be worth trying.

clickaway

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:58 pm

Cannot see a problem in putting a message in positively encouraging feedback if thats the way some people want to go.
But most of the time, I think its best that we use the private message facility. Most of us do not know others' sensitivity and so we need to be careful. I tend to be quite sensitive myself.

I also use the PM facility for typos and other silly things that might either seem petty or embarass the photographer.

leandre

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:05 pm

Hi dazedgonebye
I just had a crit on your photo.
This is because I know you want it and I wouldn't have done if there were no indication from you.
Critiquing could be an insult for many. I see this on Photo Critique Sites.
People are here for so many reasons and we can't identify those who want to learn... unless there could be an account setting which could make this need evident to all.

procyon_g

Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:22 pm

I'm pretty sensitive to personal critisism, but a positive critique of my photographs would be welcome. I think I would prefer that it be in a PM, if only because it's too easy to misinterpret comments left in a one-shot kind of situation. I'm doing this PaD project to learn. I've learned a lot just from looking at everybody's photos, but I would welcome a dialog if someone cared enough to critique my photo.

Gregg

Next

Board index PBase PaD Discussion More constructive feedback?