Board index Other Travel Vietnam

Travel

Vietnam

browndog21

Vietnam

Post Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:12 pm

Hi all,
I`m hoping to go travelling in September of next year for a whole year. One destination i have in my itinerary is Hong Kong. From there i would like to visit Vietnam for maybe a week or two.
I`m not planning on doing any serious travelling within the country as its one of my first destinations and i`m not sure how i`m going to cope with the culture shock of a developing country such as this.

Anyway, i`m an enthusiastic photographer and have a keen interest in the Vietnam war.
I was thinking of flying from Hong Kong to either Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) or Hanoi to spend a week or two exploring, however, i`m unsure as to which. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice? I`m leaning towards Hanoi at the moment as i would like to visit Ha Long bay.

Thanks for reading and merry chirstmas.

framewerkz

Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:55 am

I've been to both. There are direct flights from Hong Kong to HCMC and Hanoi, though if your primary interest is the Vietnam War, HCMC (Saigon) would probably be better for you. Hanoi is sleepier, more picturesque, and closer to places like Halong. Would suggest that you start in Saigon, and over the course of your fortnight in the country work your way northwards - via Hue (for China Beach), then Hanoi, and finally Halong.

I'm not sure how much experience you have in terms of travelling, so can't comment as to the level of culture shock you'll be having, but generally speaking, Vietnam isn't that much of a grind. It's a beautiful country with great food. As long as you stay away from the Thit Cho - that's dog meat...
For the arty-farty crap, go here:
http://www.pbase.com/framewerkz

browndog21

Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:24 am

framewerkz wrote:I've been to both. There are direct flights from Hong Kong to HCMC and Hanoi, though if your primary interest is the Vietnam War, HCMC (Saigon) would probably be better for you. Hanoi is sleepier, more picturesque, and closer to places like Halong. Would suggest that you start in Saigon, and over the course of your fortnight in the country work your way northwards - via Hue (for China Beach), then Hanoi, and finally Halong.

I'm not sure how much experience you have in terms of travelling, so can't comment as to the level of culture shock you'll be having, but generally speaking, Vietnam isn't that much of a grind. It's a beautiful country with great food. As long as you stay away from the Thit Cho - that's dog meat...

Wow, i love your pictures. This one is incredible http://www.pbase.com/framewerkz/image/34515185 it plays tricks with my eyes!

Thanks for your advice. Another question, how easy is it getting around the country? e.g. getting to Ha Long bay from hanoi? Also, did the language pose any problems?

Thanks again

framewerkz

Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:03 pm

Not at all difficult. All hotels in Hanoi offer a variety of packages to Halong, either day trips or longer. It's a three hour drive or thereabouts. I didn't feel like language was a problem, most people can get by with a mix of sign language and English, and when I was there during Euro 2004, there was no lack of people wanting to talk footy 8)

Getting around is easy, and having a mix of dong (local currency) and US dollars (small denominations) will get you by.
For the arty-farty crap, go here:
http://www.pbase.com/framewerkz

browndog21

Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:51 pm

framewerkz wrote:Not at all difficult. All hotels in Hanoi offer a variety of packages to Halong, either day trips or longer. It's a three hour drive or thereabouts. I didn't feel like language was a problem, most people can get by with a mix of sign language and English, and when I was there during Euro 2004, there was no lack of people wanting to talk footy 8)

Getting around is easy, and having a mix of dong (local currency) and US dollars (small denominations) will get you by.

Great, sounds good to me. I can`t wait to get going, its frustrating that i have another 8 months or so of just saving up! Thanks for your advice.

mkelpie

Re: Vietnam

Post Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:10 pm

browndog21 wrote:Hi all,
I`m hoping to go travelling in September of next year for a whole year. One destination i have in my itinerary is Hong Kong. From there i would like to visit Vietnam for maybe a week or two.

Hi Browndog,
Im an Australian photographer living in Hanoi. Im now setting up a business catering for photo tourism, photo trips and photo safaris in vietnam. Initially we will have tours in the north, including Halong bay but will expand to cover the entire country. There are many package tours of all prices to Halong Bay but ours will get you to the right places at the right time of day so you have the light.

Please drop by my website
http://www.pbase.com/mkelpie/vietnam
regards,
Mark

I`m not planning on doing any serious travelling within the country as its one of my first destinations and i`m not sure how i`m going to cope with the culture shock of a developing country such as this.

Anyway, i`m an enthusiastic photographer and have a keen interest in the Vietnam war.
I was thinking of flying from Hong Kong to either Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) or Hanoi to spend a week or two exploring, however, i`m unsure as to which. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice? I`m leaning towards Hanoi at the moment as i would like to visit Ha Long bay.

Thanks for reading and merry chirstmas.

Board index Other Travel Vietnam