Board index Other Travel Shanghai

Travel

Shanghai

ukexpat

Shanghai

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:45 pm

I'll be in Shanghai on business at the end of August. Does anyone know whether electronics, cameras etc are cheaper in Shanghai than in the US? If so, where are the best camera stores?

Thanks.

framewerkz

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:50 pm

Nope, not cheaper, and be wary of fakes. Also it's probably more trouble re warranties etc. Now Hong Kong is another situation altogether...
For the arty-farty crap, go here:
http://www.pbase.com/framewerkz

haleon

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:14 pm

Try Naking road. But do always bargain
The China Travel and Photography Forum
http://www.mychinatrips.com/forums/

ukexpat

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:21 pm

framewerkz wrote:Nope, not cheaper, and be wary of fakes. Also it's probably more trouble re warranties etc. Now Hong Kong is another situation altogether...

I was in HK last year and a one my colleagues who is a local gave me a couple of place to check out for prices. To be frank, when you take into account the possibility of having to pay duty (I cannot afford to smuggle as I am a resident alien and do not want to jeopardise that status), it was not much cheaper than buying in New York.

framewerkz

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:43 pm

I'd be interested in what places your local colleague suggested. Duty issues aside, the prices I get in HK beat NY hands down... unless you're looking for either super-niche stuff.
For the arty-farty crap, go here:
http://www.pbase.com/framewerkz

ukexpat

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:25 pm

framewerkz wrote:I'd be interested in what places your local colleague suggested. Duty issues aside, the prices I get in HK beat NY hands down... unless you're looking for either super-niche stuff.

I was looking for Canon SLR lenses in particular. I cannot remember the names of the stores. If I ever go back to HK, I'll be in touch for your places!!

shanghaishah

Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:31 pm

ukexpat

Been living and working in Shanghai eight years. Best deal for cameras is Third Floor Hong Long shopping mall, located diagonally across from the Main Railway station ( across the road and to the right of Railway station Main entrance ). Get a local - your translator or driver to show you. Don't be surprised - its an old building with local dry food on the first floor and clothes on the second. The 1000m2 third floor is entirely devoted to hole-in-the wall camera shops that carry an amazing variety of old cameras down to your latest DSLRs and lenses.

Comparison of prices :

RMB 10,700 ( USD 1290 ) for a D70 kit with the 17 - 80mm DX lens.
RMB 1,300 ( USD 157 ) for the Sigma APO Macro Super II 70-300mm
RMB 4,980 ( USD 600 ) for the Sigma 12 - 24mm 4.5-5.6/f EX DG
RMB 1980 ( USD 239 ) for the Nikkor 50mm AF 1.4/f

Locally made tripods, ballheads are dirt cheap, although quality is suspect. So are camera bags and other paraphanelia.

Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention...warranty may be an issue. Although most of the new stuff you can get from this place comes with an international warranty, I have noticed that the warranty cards originate from Hong Kong. The shops will provide proof of purchase, but it'll be entirely dependant on the the repair facility in your home country to validate the warranty should you have to send in your equiptment for repair within that first year. I assume it would be the same if the purchase was made in the Sates or in Hong Kong.

ukexpat

Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:55 pm

shanghaishah wrote:ukexpat

Been living and working in Shanghai eight years. Best deal for cameras is Third Floor Hong Long shopping mall, located diagonally across from the Main Railway station ( across the road and to the right of Railway station Main entrance ). Get a local - your translator or driver to show you. Don't be surprised - its an old building with local dry food on the first floor and clothes on the second. The 1000m2 third floor is entirely devoted to hole-in-the wall camera shops that carry an amazing variety of old cameras down to your latest DSLRs and lenses.

Comparison of prices :

RMB 10,700 ( USD 1290 ) for a D70 kit with the 17 - 80mm DX lens.
RMB 1,300 ( USD 157 ) for the Sigma APO Macro Super II 70-300mm
RMB 4,980 ( USD 600 ) for the Sigma 12 - 24mm 4.5-5.6/f EX DG
RMB 1980 ( USD 239 ) for the Nikkor 50mm AF 1.4/f

Locally made tripods, ballheads are dirt cheap, although quality is suspect. So are camera bags and other paraphanelia.

Hope this helps.

Forgot to mention...warranty may be an issue. Although most of the new stuff you can get from this place comes with an international warranty, I have noticed that the warranty cards originate from Hong Kong. The shops will provide proof of purchase, but it'll be entirely dependant on the the repair facility in your home country to validate the warranty should you have to send in your equiptment for repair within that first year. I assume it would be the same if the purchase was made in the Sates or in Hong Kong.

Great thanks -- I'll check it out if I have time.

ukexpat

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:38 pm

Bummer my trip to Shanghai was cancelled, guess I'll have to find something else to photograph this weekend!!

bbkbbk

Re: Shanghai

Post Fri May 22, 2009 10:17 pm

The best place to buy camera equipment in shanghai is "LUBAN LU" at the corner of Xito in Luwan district. The best prices are for Canon equipment with Hong Kong warrenties. I recently had a Canon 50mm 1.2 which had followen apart, Irvine California handled the repair under warrenty (with a Hong Kong warrenty purchased in Shanghai.

Board index Other Travel Shanghai