Board index Other Travel Welcome to the USA - NOT!

Travel

Welcome to the USA - NOT!

neda_atash

it's not that bad...

Post Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:56 pm

I went to the UK and the lines were bad too! I suppose it's just a matter of which day you land! cheer up!

haleon

Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:38 pm

I think it's about human factor.. it can happen anyplace in the world .. not partically in US
The China Travel and Photography Forum
http://www.mychinatrips.com/forums/

marlene_p

Unwelcoming customs

Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:21 pm

My husband and I both travel a lot and have had many varied experiences abroad and here at home.

Last May getting to (and from) Antigua from Houston through Miami was the absolute WORST experience in Miami airport - bad enough for me to never want to fly through Miami again!

And then this July we had a bad experience going through Newark to Dublin but an easy one coming back.

But then again...
I've found that an attitude adjustment on MY part is all that is needed to make any annoying, irritating or disturbing experience easier to deal with. Afterall, we can't change what is happening outside of us - but we can change how we react. Life is actually 10% the actual experience and 90% our own reaction to it.

So...we have not had any trouble in in those same airports before and I am guess that it was just a matter of a bad day all around for us AND the customs people.

The world HAS changed and now is the time to be cautious but to also be generous with our spirit because we can make a difference with just a smile. :-)

Marlene

ukexpat

Re: Unwelcoming customs

Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:56 pm

I sympathise on your Caribbean experience -- my wife and I have a rule that unless we can fly there direct from Philadelphia, we don't go. It's not too bad as Philly is a USAir hub and they keep adding direct flights to the Caribbean. If you want a worse experience, try flying into Chicago from outside the US on a Friday afternoon or evening...

mr2c280

U.S. Immigration is the worst.

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:13 am

We have travelled the world and, of course, encountered both long and short waits. This is simply a matter of timing and manpower. Our complaint is that most of the immigration staff manage to do their job politely and sometimes with a smile but not in the U.S. They make us feel like criminals and that is not necessary.

One example is when we returned to West Palm Beach after a stay in The Bahamas (that hotbed of terrorism), I (Canadian) and my wife (Scottish) were asked at least 20 questions (and we were only passing through). The Americans went through without question. (And certainly there are other people who get it worse than simply being asked 20 questions).

It is unfortunate that immigration are the first people one meets because that one person can put you off the whole country. Until the U.S. chills a little, we will not travel there unless we have to.

Previous

Board index Other Travel Welcome to the USA - NOT!