Board index Other Travel XRay in Chinese airports

Travel

XRay in Chinese airports

llung

XRay in Chinese airports

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:42 pm

I'm in the middle of planning a trip to China and will be taking a number of internal flights. I shoot film. Can anybody provide any advice on whether xray machines (for carry-on luggage) will damage film up to 400 iso? I would definitely have any film that is iso rated 800 or higher hand checked. Any advice would be great.

lcurran

Re: XRay in Chinese airports

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:43 pm

Having travelled in China with both film and digital, I would suggest you hand your film over to the inspector and ask that it not be taken through the machine. They will tell you that it's safe but you never know!
Have your film in either those clear white canisters and/or in a clear plastic ziploc bag or something that they can see through.
Have a super trip in China - one of my favourite places.

Luis Curran
http://www.pbase.com/lcurran

cassiar

Post Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:29 pm

I travelled many years in many Asian countries (domestic flights) and never experienced any problems with my film rolls, because I always put them in a handy lead bag, available in the bigger photo shops I guess. They can contain up to 15 or 20 rolls of film. The lead protects the film rolls in your HAND LUGGAGE. It is not advisable to put the lead bag in your check in luggage because the X-rays for check in luggage are much stronger.
China is a wonderful place with unimaginable variations in landscape and culture. Enjoy the trip !

dang

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:57 pm

always put them in a handy lead bag, It is not advisable to put the lead bag in your check in luggage

Couldn't agree more with this. ISO is irrelevant, regardless of what you might be told. Also, consider that just because you ask something to be hand checked without x-raying doesn't mean they'll oblige. My experience was (though it's been a long time ago) they never hand checked, insisting it was safe to x-ray. It's best to prepare for the worst, then maybe you'll get lucky, and they won't lose your bags. :)

Board index Other Travel XRay in Chinese airports