Board index Other Travel Guilty Feelings of Photojournalism - Bolivia/Peru/Ecuador

Travel

Guilty Feelings of Photojournalism - Bolivia/Peru/Ecuador

What do you think of Photojournalism?

It is a great way of learning humanity
27%
It is great, as long as people are not exploited through the process
73%
Its simply a form of exploitation and profit
No votes
No opinion
No votes

Total votes : 11

mreichel

Guilty Feelings of Photojournalism - Bolivia/Peru/Ecuador

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:30 am

Hi all: :D

In what ways is it appropriate to ask somebody to take their photo in the Incan countries (Peru, Ecuador, and Bolivia)? Sometimes (like in Belize for example) I find it an impossible task just due to all the guilty feelings of semi-exploiting other people. Other times, like in Nepal people will ask you if you want to take their photo for some cash. I find it easy to get these photos only through honest long-standing friendship (I lived in Nepal and Thailand and was able to get portraits of great friends); however, i find it difficult asking people who I don't really know. Photojournalists - how do you do it all the time? Any recommendations for photojournalism in the Incan world?

I do not want to exploit people, but simply show emotion in the depths of their soul. I would never take human photos of this kind for profit, but getting permission to take photos is important morally... how do you guys manage to do it?

Board index Other Travel Guilty Feelings of Photojournalism - Bolivia/Peru/Ecuador