A1
100%
Z3
No votes

Total votes : 1

pringuet

Yet Another CCD to make

Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:13 pm

Yet Another Camera Choice Decision to make.

I've been looking for some time at reviews and forums to make a choice on my next camera that best suit my needs.
I'm looking for a digicam with as much manual control as possible and that allows for some flexibility if my needs change. At the moment I have a FinePix 2600z. Although this is a good camera, I'm frustrated not being able to experiment as much as I'd like.

I considered the A1 for a long time (A2 too expensive for me and 8MP is way too much for my needs) and I thought my decision was made.
But when I read the review of the Z3 on Megapixel.net this morning, some doubts have arisen. The big problem is that both cameras have the advantages I am looking for such as SLR-like for a good hold, many manual controls, AntiShake system and nice zoom range. I just can't see what's making the prices so different.

Is it really worth paying 200euro more for a camera a year older?
Or is it better to save some money for accessories like filters, rings or memory cards?

Could you please share with me your experience and points of view?

Thanks
Phil

wangi

Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:32 pm

Panasonic FZ20 ;) or the FZ3.

castledude

Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:48 pm

One thing to consider is how much manual shooting you will be doing. The Z3 is a mostly automatic camera that can be set to manual mode.
The A1 is a tweakers delight (I have the similar A2).

Both are good cameras but for example the lens on the A1 is easier to drift off autofocus for more creativity, it has multiple storage spots for settings and custom white balances. It is a little easier to connect to external strobes (pc sync), and lots of extra flash modes. If you need/want those features then the 200 e price is worth it.

If not then getting a bigger zoom may be a lot more fun. The A1 is being phased out right now and an A200 has been just announced you might want to look at it since it should be priced near or below the A1 current price.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Yet Another CCD to make