Board index Equipment Digital Cameras advice on sRGB and RGB

Digital Cameras

advice on sRGB and RGB

philipcoleman

advice on sRGB and RGB

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:42 pm

I have just bought a canon 20D and now have an option to shoot with either of the above. When should each be used and what are the differances between the two. I shoot maily to print after editing in photoshop so which should i be shooting with.
Also when converting to tiff i have an option to save in either 8 bit or 16bit, again what are the advantages and can 16 bit be processed and saved after photoshop.

ukexpat

Re: advice on sRGB and RGB

Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:11 pm

philipcoleman wrote:I have just bought a canon 20D and now have an option to shoot with either of the above. When should each be used and what are the differances between the two. I shoot maily to print after editing in photoshop so which should i be shooting with.
Also when converting to tiff i have an option to save in either 8 bit or 16bit, again what are the advantages and can 16 bit be processed and saved after photoshop.

Do you mean sRGB and Adobe RGB? If so, then this is the difference: Adobe RGB has a slightly wider range (gamut), but not all applications are "Adobe RGB aware", for example, web browsers -- if you try to view an ARGB image in a browser it will look weird. Browsers only display sRGB images correctly. So here's my workflow with my 10D -- I shoot in RAW in Adobe RGB format, once converted, levels corrected and USM applied in Photoshop, I save as an uncompressed TIFF image. If I then want a JPEG to post to PBase, I convert to sRGB, resize and "save as..." a JPEG. If I want to print the image, I do so from Photoshop (which is ARGB aware), so that it prints correctly.

I save as 8 bit TIFFs -- one reason is that 16 bit TIFFs are twice the size! Second, your processing and "save as..." options are more limited in 16 bit.

Hope this helps....

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras advice on sRGB and RGB