Board index Equipment Digital Cameras How do digital cameras store data?

Digital Cameras

How do digital cameras store data?

taijann

How do digital cameras store data?

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:20 am

I would like to know if all digital cameras use raster compression or vector compression?

Is raw format like vector data, or is it really raw?

I know that photoshop uses raster scaling thats why things look jagged when you blow them up in PS.

But Illustrator uses vector scaling so when you blow up an image it has no jagged edges.

ukexpat

Re: How do digital cameras store data?

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:03 pm

taijann wrote:I would like to know if all digital cameras use raster compression or vector compression?

Is raw format like vector data, or is it really raw?

I know that photoshop uses raster scaling thats why things look jagged when you blow them up in PS.

But Illustrator uses vector scaling so when you blow up an image it has no jagged edges.

RAW is just that -- raw data straight from the sensor with no processing applied in camera. The format varies by manufacturer but the concept is the same.

wangi

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:14 pm

To answer taijann - raster.

taijann

gah

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:14 pm

Ok thanks for the feedback, so wangi says its Raster, that helps alot.

Question 1)
Ukexpat I would like to know how the raw data is stored though, it can be stored in a vector format(like what US milsats use) in which case I can scale up a car license plate from miles away without distortion.(and read the numbers off the license plate)

Or in raster format (in which case scaling just reveals more squares that get bigger and bigger, resulting in distortion).

Question 2) Are there any digital cameras that store raw data in vector format?

wangi

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:43 pm

it's raster format (arrays of pixels), so scaling just leads to distortion as you say. And no, no camera uses vector.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras How do digital cameras store data?