Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Ring Flash For Macro?

Digital Cameras

Ring Flash For Macro?

donutrun

Ring Flash For Macro?

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:14 am

I like macro photography, particularly insects and flowers ... Low light seems to be a real challenge. Anybody have any experience with a "ring flash"? I've never used one, talked to anyone who has, or even seen one in person!! :shock:

Looks like they can be had for my Minolta A1 on ebay for $90. Is it an effective device for macro? :?:
http://www.pbase.com/donutrun
Bored out of your skull? Visit my gallery, leave a coment.
Nikon D300 .. 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 VR .. 85mm 1:1.8 .. 50mm 1:1.8
Manfrotto 682B monopod with the 234rc head .. SB 600
Nestled In Northwestern Vermont

crimsontear

Oh yes!

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:52 am

It's very effective for macro photography!

I almost always use a ringflash when taking my macro shots.

digital_darrel

Re: Ring Flash For Macro?

Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:55 pm

I recently got one, examine my macro shots.

peterarbib

Macro for 3d look

Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:39 pm

Years ago I had Oly OM4 with a twin mini strobe macro light set up. It was all TTL too. I found then, if you wanted a shadow to show depth. A standard ringlight will not do. It typicaly is a shawdowless light. :? For flowers and and the like, you might want to consider this set-up too. Although I am not sure if you camera maker has such a set-up. I believe there is a generic out there. But I think testing for correct exposure would be by trail and error. Then you most log your results for future use. A TTL unit the IS way to go. :D Have you tried a Small Flash mini soft box, It too can work, if your not too close (use longer focal lenth lens). I hope this is some help.

Peter

jmkane

Macro photos

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:56 am

I think Ring Flashes have a great use for the right subject but, I have found it gives a flat light, which doesn't seem natural. For closeups/macro shots I found better results with simply a low power single flash(some times two) on a bracket with a sync cord. I tend to be anal and take great effort to "standardize" methods. ie-I set up my methods so when most shots end up being say 1:1 (life size) or 1/2 life size I get the same exposure settings. With proper testing you'll find the same exact f/stop is used **every time**, which allows you to concentrate on the subject. Even if it isn't 1:1 with testing you simply reset a useful f/stop. Hey!, it's digital so, just reshoot until its right. Yes? I would bet you could visit most camera stores and find very useable flashes for around $15-$20. You do not need a $200-$500 Macro flash. Because the flash is so close it doesn't need to light the planet. Think about modeling the features of your subject. Think about Portrait lighting. Would on camera direct lighting flatter a face. Mostly not but, some times it works great (maybe 1%). "Things" need to be lit to reveal its shape to make it appear real, natural,just like it's right in front of you.
Drap a white handkerchief over the flash and you'll 1) soften the light 2) cut down the light so you can use a wider f/stop to put near objects out of focus. Be creative, have fun! :D FYI I've been involved with photography (earning an income) for over 18 years.Medical photog,expert color printer, advert, wedding, etc on and on.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Ring Flash For Macro?