Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon Eos 10D photo always grayish?

Digital Cameras

Canon Eos 10D photo always grayish?

alonpe

Canon Eos 10D photo always grayish?

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:26 pm

My photos by Canon 10D always look a little grayish and low contrast. On the other side, my Canon PowerShot S230 ( point-shoot camera) shows a more vivid color and contrast. :shock:
Can anybody tell me how to deal with this?
Thanks a lot!

ukexpat

Re: Canon Eos 10D photo always grayish?

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:45 pm

alonpe wrote:My photos by Canon 10D always look a little grayish and low contrast. On the other side, my Canon PowerShot S230 ( point-shoot camera) shows a more vivid color and contrast. :shock:
Can anybody tell me how to deal with this?
Thanks a lot!

What format are you shooting in when using your 10D - RAW or JPEG? If you are shooting in RAW, those images will require some processing (in a RAW processor like the Canon RAW tool, Photoshop CS etc) before they look their best. If you are shooting JPEG, on what settings do you have the camera's image controls: contrast, saturation etc? If you have no idea what I am talking about, have you read the manual? It is a big leap from a P&S camera to the 10D, with a steep learning curve.

alonpe

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:31 pm

Thanks!
I will look at the settings. Most of the time I thought since it is a good camera, it's supposed to be good without changing settings. Also I have bad experience making changes in some settings.
I will experiment more! :oops:

ukexpat

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:44 pm

alonpe wrote:Thanks!
I will look at the settings. Most of the time I thought since it is a good camera, it's supposed to be good without changing settings. Also I have bad experience making changes in some settings.
I will experiment more! :oops:

Think of it as a high-performance car -- yes, straight from the dealer it's OK, but you will have much more fun once you learn to drive it properly!

castledude

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:56 pm

Tip #1
Auto mode on the 10D is not a good way to shoot. Use the Aperature or Shutter Priority modes. Lock down the ASA so you get predictable results.

Tip #2
Learn about white balance and how to set it for the environment you are in.

Tip #3
Learn what the EV+/- control does for you.

Tip #4
As ukexpat stated this is a high performance camera the object is to give you the most information possible and have you post process it to the way you like.

If you want turn up the color saturation and sharpness a notch until you get used to post processing. This will give you more punch, but post processing gives you a better control and will give you better pictures in the long run.

Tip #5
Learn about Photoshop (or another high end editor) and how to use levels and curves.

Good luck and have fun..

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon Eos 10D photo always grayish?