Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Compact flash card error

Digital Cameras

Compact flash card error

obgyn

Compact flash card error

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:11 pm

I am new to this forum, and have a question concernning a compact flash card error.

I have a Minolta Dimage 5, with a 256mb CF card, that has about 145 photos of our recent vacation on it. I was uploading them last night, and the camera and the computer gave an error stating "unable to use card". Only about thirty pics uploaded. I tried putting the card in a CF reader, but only to have my computer lock up.

Is there a way to have the information stripped from the card or is the info lost? If it can be stripped, who would I send it to?

I appreciate any ideas that can be provided.

stormseye

Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:42 pm

I just experienced something fairly similar - a "Card Error".

I took my card to a local camera shop that is hip to digital (they aren't always - some are dragging their feet still) and they recovered the images and put them on a CD-ROM for me.

My lesson learned - format the memory card in the camera. Not sure if that has anything to do with your problem, though.

Good luck.
Bruce B

"I have always felt that it is HOW one sees
rather than WHAT one sees
that makes any photograph interesting."
- Michael A. Smith, 1999

ukexpat

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:02 pm

stormseye wrote:I just experienced something fairly similar - a "Card Error".

I took my card to a local camera shop that is hip to digital (they aren't always - some are dragging their feet still) and they recovered the images and put them on a CD-ROM for me.

My lesson learned - format the memory card in the camera. Not sure if that has anything to do with your problem, though.

Good luck.

One other piece of advice that works for me -- I never download direct from the camera, I always use a card reader. Not only is this faster, but I never get read errors. It works for me but YMMV.

cbss

Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:56 pm

Read this post I have in another fourm

http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=15

Chuck

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Compact flash card error