Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Another lens comparison

Digital Cameras

Another lens comparison

snappingturtle

Another lens comparison

Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:10 am

Hi,

Sorry about a similar post to my previous one, but just another set of lens to narrow down.

The competitors:

Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM

vs

Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM

Which of these lenses are more suitable for portrait? Which is better for flash use? Do any of them have frontal barrel rotation when focusing?

Thanks again!

Hugh

ukexpat

Re: Another lens comparison

Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:58 pm

htsung wrote:Hi,

Sorry about a similar post to my previous one, but just another set of lens to narrow down.

The competitors:

Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM

vs

Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM

Which of these lenses are more suitable for portrait? Which is better for flash use? Do any of them have frontal barrel rotation when focusing?

Thanks again!

Hugh

Hugh

Assuming you will be using a Canon digital SLR with a 1.6 crop factor, I would go with the 50mm 1.4 -- which will be the equivalent of 80mm whereas the the 85mm is the equivalent of 136mm. In 35mm film circles 80-85mm is generall thought of as a good focal length for portrait work and the 50mm will also give you an extra stop. Also, the 50mm 1.4 is an incredibly sharp lens.

dror_yalon

Post Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:51 am

Hi Hugh,

I think it's essential to define what you intent to do with this lens. What are the subjects you would like to photograph? what are the distances required?
For example, if you are interested in taking candid photos in the street, from a safe distance, but still looking for a quick lens (and you've got the $$ :lol: ) look at the 135mm f/2L.

Dror

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Another lens comparison