Board index Equipment Digital Cameras 10D and 300D body and lens question

Digital Cameras

10D and 300D body and lens question

jim_panzee

10D and 300D body and lens question

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:59 am

I currently own a Canon EOS 5 with a Canon 50mm 1-1.4 USM lens. The time is drawing close now where I am thinking of buying an SLR digital (Canon). The two I have in mind are the 10D and the 300D, the 10D (body only), would be just about on my budget, but what do I do, buy the 10D and use my 50mm lens, or take the 300D body and buy a good wide angle/tele zoom lens (24-75 for instance) to go with my 50mm, this combination would be about the same price as the 10D body. If anybody else on the forum has been in this dilemma I would be happy to know about it, and which choice did you make. I would also be grateful for any other comments on these models; I have read various reports in magazines etc. but user experience is always better.

smithnb

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:55 am

Hi,

I moved from an EOS 5 to a 10D a while back, and having tried out a friends 300D, I'm glad I went with the 10D - mainly because of the difference in build quality.

If your decision is based on lenses rather then build quality then you need to bare the following in mind - the 10D and 300D (I think) have a focal length multiplier of 1.6 - this means a photo taken with your existing 50MM lens will actually have a focal length of 80MM.

As far as I know, the lens supplied with the 300D is specifically designed for a digital camera taking the focal length multiplier into account - the back of the lens is seated further into the body of the camera and will therefore no fit onto your EOS 5 body.

Hope this helps.

matiasasun

Re: 10D and 300D body and lens question

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:36 pm

Jim, maybe you don´t know but CANON has developed the D20 (D10´s sucessor). So, maybe, you´ll like to know more about that other camera. Judge yourself :wink:
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras 10D and 300D body and lens question