Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 10D and Digital Rebel - err 99

Digital Cameras

Canon 10D and Digital Rebel - err 99

ronfronberg

Canon 10D and Digital Rebel - err 99

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:29 am

I have a chance to buy the above cameras, but each will display err 99 after pressing the shutter. The manuals state to remove the battery and reinsert the battery. The error keeps occurring. Any ideas what the problem or problems might be?

thanks
ron

framewerkz

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:30 am

It's the general all-purpose error message.

Is there a CF card in place when you press the shutter?
Are the cameras connected to non-compatible third party flashes?
Are you using an old third party lens?
For the arty-farty crap, go here:
http://www.pbase.com/framewerkz

ronfronberg

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:25 pm

I get the same error message, err 99, no matter what lenses, batteries, CF used or even no lens attached. I called Canon regarding the cost to repair. I was told to send it in and I would get a free estimate. Canon would not give a rough estimate.

matiasasun

Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:47 pm

Dude, there is some information at Dpreview:
View 1, View 2, View 3 (a useful message maybe?).

Try to find some information there, and look at threads that follow to those messages. They´re a lot of them and maybe you can find a clue. There is also a 300D user group here at PBase. Maybe they can help a little bit more.

Hope that helps you

Matias
Matias, Chile - http://www.pbase.com/matiasasun
Resources, HOWTOs, Samples and more! - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

ronfronberg

Post Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:49 am

Thanks to all for the information. The problem with both cameras is the shutter curtain is damaged.

ron

anne_marie

err99 solved

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:03 pm

I had the same problem during my photography class last week. The instructor suggested I try removing the battery or the CF card, to no avail. I reformatted my CF card and that solved the problem.

Hope it works for you, good luck!

gaglianocello

Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:58 pm

Yes.. the CF card must be formatted by the camera.

p1ayn

error message

Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:48 am

Has anyone gotten the err 01 message? I use the digita rebel with the 28-135 IS Lens, and get that quite frequently. On my L Lenses I have never gotten an error.
Copyright 2004 Jorge Alatorre

anne_marie

Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:10 pm

If you look at page 127 of the instruction manual, you will find a list of the error codes. Err01 would be to clean the lens contacts. Instruction on how to do so is at (p.9) of the manual.

ukexpat

Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:24 pm

anne_marie wrote:If you look at page 127 of the instruction manual, you will find a list of the error codes. Err01 would be to clean the lens contacts. Instruction on how to do so is at (p.9) of the manual.

OK let's all say it again, this time with feeling: "Read The Manual"!!! I wonder why manufacturers even bother with manuals, no one seems to read them any more....

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Canon 10D and Digital Rebel - err 99