Board index Equipment Digital Cameras How do you make waterfalls sooo smooth??

Digital Cameras

How do you make waterfalls sooo smooth??

prainluda

How do you make waterfalls sooo smooth??

Post Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:53 pm

Ok im really new to this whole shutter speeds and stuff but how do you get a waterfall to be really smooth? Ive tried setting the lense speed to 1/2 but then it goes way way to bright and nothing ever seems to be clear like some of the shots ive seen on this website.

ALSO another problem that could be solved. I like Night time shots but it seems like when I get to some places and keep my lense open for 4 seconds the lights have HUGE streaks. Kinda like wrestling pyro or something. Is there any way to fix that problem?

BTW im using a kodak easyshare dx6440

castledude

Re: How do you make waterfalls sooo smooth??

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:58 am

prainluda wrote:Ok im really new to this whole shutter speeds and stuff but how do you get a waterfall to be really smooth? Ive tried setting the lense speed to 1/2 but then it goes way way to bright and nothing ever seems to be clear like some of the shots ive seen on this website.

BTW im using a kodak easyshare dx6440

Method 1 (traditional):

What you are going to need is a Neutral density (ND) filter and a tripod. This is like a pair of sunglasses for your camera and allows even less light in. So you will want to set the lowest ASA speed possible, Set the lens to the highest aperature then add ND filters so that you are exposing the scene for longer and longer times 1/10 second is prettty much a minimum with optimal times of over 1 second.

To attach the ND you might want to look into the Cokin system if you cannot find an adapter to allow screw filters. If you do use the Cokin system make sure to put black cardboard or something like it around the lens to filter coupling area to prevent stray light.

Method 2 (Photoshop):

Lock down the camera on the tripod and take multiple shots (use the self timer function if available). Get about 20+ shots of the same waterfall from the same spot. Now blend them together with layers and adjust the brightness to get the effect.

-----------------------
Method 1 is easier but Method 2 can create some interesting effects.

prainluda

Post Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:57 am

Ah thanks for the Tips. Hmm dont have photoshop but the whole filter thing makes sense. VERY COOL thanks!!

gschmickle

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:39 pm

Another word of advice on shooting waterfalls has less to do with technique. Try to avoid shooting them on high constrast, sunny days. Waterfall shots are much better attempted on cloudy days or at least early or late in the day. Otherwise, its difficult to control your exposure, generally resulting in blowing out the highlights in the water. For example, the shot below was taken on a partly cloudy day where I waited for the sun to go behind a cloud.

ukexpat

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:53 pm

Excellent advice -- in fact I find the late afternoon to be the best time to shoot a lot of subjects. The light is more diffused and the sun not so glaring as it is when it is overhead.

prainluda

Post Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:44 pm

Well I tried a shot the other night when I was playing with my iso and well it actually turned out perfect. Maybe not as great as yours but I had the right idea. Now to just go back to a waterfall and make sure my camera is straight hahahaha. Oh well I was just testing soooo many options just trying to see what worked

sheila

Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:35 am

gschmickle wrote:Another word of advice on shooting waterfalls has less to do with technique. Try to avoid shooting them on high constrast, sunny days. Waterfall shots are much better attempted on cloudy days or at least early or late in the day. Otherwise, its difficult to control your exposure, generally resulting in blowing out the highlights in the water. For example, the shot below was taken on a partly cloudy day where I waited for the sun to go behind a cloud.

Great shot, Guy. You certainly nailed the exposure and shutter speed.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

pva_glue

Post Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:13 am

Sony Cybershot
4s f/8.0 at 10.7mm iso100 full exif

bobtrips

Post Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:22 pm

Guess I'm really an old fart.

I remember when we were delighted with a newly released camera that had the ability (fast shutter, wide aperture) that allowed us to 'freeze' the stream. To capture individual drops of water.... ;o)

gschmickle

Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:47 pm

Guess I'm really an old fart.

I remember when we were delighted with a newly released camera that had the ability (fast shutter, wide aperture) that allowed us to 'freeze' the stream. To capture individual drops of water.... ;o)

I'm a firm believer in both types of capture methods actually. I've always preferred the slow shuttered technique for the more delicate, cascading waterfalls. For high volume falls where you want to evoke a sense of power, I usually opt to try and freeze the water. Its all depends on your personal preferences, I guess.

-Guy

pva_glue

Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:36 am

gschmickle wrote: For high volume falls where you want to evoke a sense of power, I usually opt to try and freeze the water. Its all depends on your personal preferences, I guess.-Guy

Do you have photo of this description???

cheers
Glue

gschmickle

Post Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:24 pm

I wish I had a nice shot of Niagra Falls or something like that to illustrate, but I don't. Instead I'll just use this shot of one of the larger waterfalls along the north shore of Lake Superior.

dovey

Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:27 am

gschmickle wrote:I wish I had a nice shot of Niagra Falls or something like that to illustrate, but I don't. Instead I'll just use this shot of one of the larger waterfalls along the north shore of Lake Superior.

No expert here by any stretch of the imagination, but that's a great shot. For me, the faster shutter speeds are better at portraying the sheer power of a waterfall... but when there's not much water volume, the slower speeds make it a bit more interesting. I've only done a couple, both had very little water, so the slower speeds make them a bit more interesting... imo anyway.

Tioga Falls... faster shutter speed:

Tioga Falls... slower shutter speed (and some gaussian blur from ps):

Nothing great, but that's my .02 :D

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras How do you make waterfalls sooo smooth??