Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Kyocera or Nikkon

Digital Cameras

Kyocera or Nikkon

laury4

Kyocera or Nikkon

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:16 pm

Hello
i got a dillema here..
one is the Kyocera S3R and the other one the Nikon Coolpix 3200.
I want quality picture, real detail. I want to photograph a black dog who can move. Do you have an idea ? Thank you !

peterarbib

I say ??

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:42 am

The Kyocera has a larger CCD (Good), but it has less JPG compression 2 levels and the Nikon has 3. Also the Kyocera has 3 types of metering, Nikon has 1, BUT Nikon has been around for over 60 years making lenes and cameras, (read: Tons of experience and RR). Kyocera has been around ???? (could be a company that makes camera's for HP (M410R looks like the HP945) and other not so household brands (old school). The HP945 is So-So in image quality). The Kyocera sounds good, but the Nikon may diliver better images in the long run. Might have a smaller CCD, BUT there are plenty of good 1/2.7 3mp out there. Even the Panasonic FZ10 has a 1/2.5 4mp CCD. and many have claimed that this camera can give some good 5mp a run for the $$$. (the LENS is THE MAIN FACTOR as in ANY camera, if you have crappy lens, you will have crappy images. If the Kyocera has a BRAND NAME (Canon, Nikon, Leica, Pentax, Minolta) lens, then maybe the Kyocera might be a good deal. the Kyocera does some nice advanced options (saturation, contrast, manual WB) that are a big plus. ... After looking at the specs for both, the Kyocera has a larger aray of options that would be a welcome help for adv. Amatures who still want a P/S, but wants limited options. The options that Kyocera has included are well thought out too. IMO, take some pic's with both on your card, and work with them in your editor. this will help you see how good the exposer and dynamic range is with each camera, sharpness, noise ......etc.
Good Luck :idea:

gillettecraig

Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:19 am

Black dogs are traditionally frustrating photo subjects. I'd look closely at any of the sites that offer reviews (like Dpreview, Imaging Resource for two) to see if they have covered the two cameras you are interested in. Kyocera is an old, experienced company, not entirely well known under this name but with a decent history. You may want to see which feels best to you as well as trying some test chots.

laury4

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:45 am

Thank you for your answer Peterarbib and Gillettecraig !! :D
I wait to know if you find, gillelettecraig somethink to photograph black dogs ... the better digital camera between Kyocera or Nikkon, or else 3 megapixels ... I speak not much "english" because i live in Corsica (France) !! :D

gillettecraig

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:11 am

The problem with black dogs is the difficulty in getting proper exposure of the fur as it generally fools exposure meters and isn't very reflective so it often comes out as a black featureless mass. If the dog is moving around and lighting is variable, then it's very hard to meter or adjust. Both cameras appear to be limited in their manual control features. I haven't used or worked with either but the reviews/spec sheets show neither have full manual controls (but the spec sheets may have been in error). You can work with "exposure compensation" somewhat. I'd maybe try the Canon A70/A75 or equivalent with manual controls before these.

laury4

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:23 pm

Hello
Thanks for all this precisions. I think buy tha Canon A 75. But I see today the Olympus Camedia C-725 Ultra Zoom. Tomorrow, I buy a digital camera. Could you tell me what do you think of Olympus to photograph my black dogs and other ? :?: :D Thanks

laury4

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:54 am

I have selected the Canon A 75 ... I hope i have make a good choice ...
I have put in my gallerie a photo of my dog (photo taken with a "normal" camera, non digital.). I have not successed to put several photos ... :wink:

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Kyocera or Nikkon