Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Upgrading Nikon bodies

Digital Cameras

Upgrading Nikon bodies

jhg162

Upgrading Nikon bodies

Post Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:47 pm

I have been using a Nikon D90 for the past 4-5 years but now I'm looking to upgrade to a more advanced Nikon. I have been considering the D750 (more expensive) for a while but have has the D7100 recommended recently. I also have an older D50 which my wife now used. I have the following lenses: AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II, AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED, AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED, AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Nikon 18-200 mm F/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF DX VR Lens, Nikon 50 mm f/1.8D Nikkor AF Lens, AF-S DX VR Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED and
Sigma 50-500 mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens.

Is anyone using the D750 and is it worth the investment?

Thanks.

sthuman

Re: Upgrading Nikon bodies

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:37 am

I don't have a D750, but do know a few people that do. It's a fine camera. The first thing you have to ask yourself is will you benefit by going to a FX (full frame, or the same size as 35mm film) sized sensor? The D750 is 10 megapixels in DX (crop) mode, which is pretty much enough for most stuff, assuming you don't want to crop too much more. All your DX lenses will require you to shoot in DX mode (not totally true, but for all practical purposes it's true). Where you gain most with FX is in wide angle and low light shooting. So it sort depends on what you shoot most. If you're into birds, DX is the way to go probably. If you shoot in low light, FX is better at higher ISOs. When I was deciding whether to go FX or DX my choices were D800 or D7000. I chose D7000 because I didn't need full frame or at least not so much to pay so much more for it. The D7000 does darn good in low light, the D7100 even better. Some (most) of your lenses will only work in DX mode, so you wouldn't be gaining anything there with a D750. In fact you'd be losing a fair amount of megapixels because of shooting in DX mode. My suggestion would be unless you have some compelling reason that you need full frame, would be to go with the D7100. It's a big step up from a D90. You'll save a good chunk of change, maybe enough for a nice weekend away somewhere, shooting great photos.

sthuman

Re: Upgrading Nikon bodies

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:49 am

I went and looked at a bunch of your photos. I don't think I was able to find any where you shot as wide as the zoom you were using would go. Given the kind of shooting I see you do I'd say your are definitely better off saving money and sticking with DX, ie the D7100. You'll be saving about $1300. That's my opinion anyway.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Upgrading Nikon bodies