Board index Equipment Digital Cameras A few questions about the Canon 300d

Digital Cameras

A few questions about the Canon 300d

steverb

A few questions about the Canon 300d

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:05 pm

Im looking into buying a Canon 300D Digital Rebel and I have a few questions.

Am I better off buying the kit that comes with the lens or should I buy just the body and buy the lens seperately? If so what is the best multi purpose EF lens?

Also I have 2 Canon film SLR's and several lens' from the early 90's. Will these lens' work with the Rebel?

Thanks for any info.

Steve

renem24

Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:34 pm

I wouldn't buy the whole kit if I'd have some EF lenses already. The old EF lenses ussualy work, I understood from other post that somethimes you can get an Err 99 with Sigma lenses, but with no cost Sigma can rechip them. I think is better to call Sigma or Canon to ask them if the lenses which you have must be rechipped to work with Rebel. If you'd want to buy a wide angle lens for your new Rebel you'd have to spend hundreds. For $100 difference you can have one.

So, if you already have a wide angle lens don't buy the kit. If you don't have, don't think twice. $80-90 more for a wide angle is nothing. What you have to know is that this lens is extremelly soft.
Good luck

wilfredmrand

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:10 am

Unless you're already comfortable with the angle of view associated with an APS-C sensor (1.6 teleconversion factor), I recommend you DO get the kit lens. What the heck. It's only $100, and it's not a bad value. Then you can decide where to put your money for your first real lens - long (say 70-200) or wide (17-35 for example).

Because of the 1.6 factor, Canon doesn't really have a fully useful all-around lens like Nikon's 18-70.

Possibly the best value in the whole canon line of lenses is the 50 f/1.8 for only $65. Cheap build, but truly amazing results! Followed closely by the 28-105 USM II....fast focus, light weight, sharp images for $225. The 28 isn't quite wide enough on a 1.6 factor lens (equivalent to 42mm on a full frame 35mm slr).

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras A few questions about the Canon 300d