Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Unrecognized file format - problem with CF card...

Digital Cameras

Unrecognized file format - problem with CF card...

mistermattias

Unrecognized file format - problem with CF card...

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:44 pm

Umm, this isn't exactly a camera question, but someone might know the answer to it anyway. I've got two CF cards, one 64MB and one 128MB. The smaller one works just fine, and so does the internal memory of the camera. But the larger card is giving me nightmares. It's worked just fine for two years now, but some days ago it started acting very weird. When I take a photo, I can see the preview of it, and then it is stored on the card. At least that's what I thought. When I try to look at the image, I get the message 'Unrecognized file format'. That's it. I can't transfer the photos to the computer either, since it's the wrong format. I discovered this after taking 26 images...

So I deleted all the images on the card. Then it says that I've got no images on the card - good. But if I turn off the camera and switch it back on again, it says that I've got 26 images on the card again. Kind of weird, huh? When I switch to the smaller card or choose to use the 8 Megs of internal memory, it works just fine. But what am I supposed to do with the 128MB SanDisk CF card? Throw it away? It's two years old and I bought it in California. It takes 13 hours to fly there from here, so I guess it'd be a bit easier to buy a new card...

But still, if there's a way to repair this, I'd be very happy if you told me how to do it (the local stores will probably charge more to try to fix it than what it'd cost me to buy a new card).
Any comments appreciated.

lwh

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:12 pm

Sounds like the card has gone bad.
But I would.
1. Format the CF Card and see if that helped.
2. Try the card in another camera.
3. Buy a new CF Card.

Good luck.
Lewis

mistermattias

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:41 pm

Lewis, thanks for the suggestions. I've already tried them :( Looks like I'll have to go shopping. Or learn to survive with only a 64 MB card :roll:

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Unrecognized file format - problem with CF card...