Buying Digicam

Post Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:54 pm

I'm planning on getting the Sony DSC-W1

I'm not exactly sure where to buy it though
[I live in San Francisco]

Some places are SonyStyle, Circuit City, And Wolfcamera
[I won't be buying from Best Buy]

I've heard bad things about Circuit City's Extended Warrenty
Wolfcamera's warranty sounds good but I've heard bad experiences with them to [Like the camera never arriving]

Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks

ukexpat

Re: Buying Digicam

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:07 pm

liddoxtc wrote:I'm planning on getting the Sony DSC-W1

I'm not exactly sure where to buy it though
[I live in San Francisco]

Some places are SonyStyle, Circuit City, And Wolfcamera
[I won't be buying from Best Buy]

I've heard bad things about Circuit City's Extended Warrenty
Wolfcamera's warranty sounds good but I've heard bad experiences with them to [Like the camera never arriving]

Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks

Personally I would never buy an extended warranty -- as far as I am concerned they are just a way for retailers to make up for selling cameras at a discount through the commission they get for selling them. If you want to search for reliable retailers, take a look at:

http://www.resellerratings.com

liddoxtc

Post Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:32 pm

I'm not planning to get extended warranty anymore

But my mom want's to buy outside because if something happens to the camera she doesn't want to pay for the shipping and send it back...so whats a good place to buy outside [like a guarantee or something]

thanks

gillettecraig

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:19 am

Not sure what you mean by "buying outside" but there are a couple of things to think about.

Buying locally means you won't get the prices available at the reputable on-line discount stores like B&H or Adorama. There are a couple of L.A. area firms which are often competitive but that adds the problems of not being local and CA state taxes (not that you weren't going to pay use tax for out of state purchases).

That means you'd need to closely examine local store policies about returns, etc. (And any warranties they might offer - read them! Don't let the clerk tell you what they cover without showing you in writing where it covers the things you are worried about. Damage from drops, water, etc., aren't usually covered, no matter what they tell you.) It's unlikely it just won't work when purchased.

What this means is you probably won't find a great deal of difference in service or pricing at different local stores. So try WalMart, CostCo, etc., as well as places like CompUSA. There are also price matching policies at many stores like Sears, and some of the large office supply stores - but they've wised up to matching against the internet cheater stores.

liddoxtc

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:35 pm

Thanks for the info! I know I didn't pay much attention when I got the best buy extended warranty ~.~.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Buying Digicam