Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Memory Cards

Digital Cameras

Memory Cards

moneymakinmitch

Memory Cards

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:52 am

Hi I just recently bought a Canon A60, and I wanted to if all memory card brands are equal? are there certain brands that are better than others or are the the memory card brands the same, meaning do they all save the same picture quality or do some have lower quality.

lwh

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:18 am

Yes, they all save the same picture quality. But some are built better than other. You need to ask what brands hold up the best.

aarslank

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:22 am

As long as they work all memory cards are absolutely the same. Go for the cheapest one.

gillettecraig

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:47 am

CF cards can vary in the speed of the memory used. I don't think it makes much difference to the A60, however, it can be a noticeable difference in some cameras, particularly when working with large files, continuous shooting or video. For the A60, I'd suggest not paying to much added premium for really fast cards.

bobtrips

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:11 pm

A few years ago there were only two manufacturers who made memory cards. There are probably more now.

From what I've read card speed is not an issue with lower end digitals. They do make a difference with high end digitals (dSLRs). Rob Galbraith tests card performance and posts the results on his site.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp

takeaim

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:38 am

Copied from the Rob Galbraith forum:

"The simplified answer is, with a professional camera (1D's D1's, etc), the faster the write speed of the card, the faster the camera buffer is emptied to the compact flash card, and the more you can shoot. Now, many people don't ever, or hardly ever, fill the camera buffer. But if you like to shoot both jpegs and raws files at the same time, which you can do with the Canon 1d series, the faster card makes a huge difference. A faster read speed also allows faster downloads to your computer (when using a capable reader)."

I have only used Lexar media. Right now Amazon has Lexar Pro 512 MB with 40X speed for $99 and free shipping. I think it's the best CF.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Memory Cards