Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Bigger Flash Card or Portable Drive?

Digital Cameras

Bigger Flash Card or Portable Drive?

jfender

Bigger Flash Card or Portable Drive?

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:20 pm

In August, I'm going on a week long trip with my children to visit family in Colorado. I know that I'm going be taking TONS of photos. I already have 2-256mb cards. My family members (I'm pretty sure) will have computers with CD-ROM drives I could use for downloading...I can always take my USB card reader along.

BUT, I'm thinking maybe a portable hard drive might be be something to consider. Or, a large sized CF card.

At a minimum, I need to buy an extra battery pack. And I'd like to buy a car charger. But, I'd consider skipping the car charger for the extra media storage.

The only other thing I can add to this is I'm not sure where else such a portable drive would get use in my "normal" everyday living. Obviously, this won't be my last vacation, and the chances are the next time we go somewhere, a PC or laptop won't be available.

So, what do you think? Do you have portable drive you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Joy
Joy
Multi-tasking - Screwing everything up simultaneously.
--- Anon

castledude

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:53 pm

I have one of these http://www.iomagic.com/Products/show_al ... 6N1USB20GB

It costs less than a 1GB card and holds 20GB, you can replace the drive with larger sizes. It can be used as a stand alone reader also. A USB2.0 version now exists for getting the data off the drive faster.

If you want other use you might look at this one http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/s.nl/c ... /id.179/.f

It is similar to the first one but can also be used as an MP3 player so it gives you some extra use between vacations.

I use mine even on normal trips. It just feels more secure to know I have two copies of my data, just in case something gets glitched before I get home.

jfender

Thanks!

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:16 am

I hadn't thought that the drives could be 20x the space for the same price as a 1GB flash card.

Appreciate the info....definitely leaning more in that direction.

Have you ever personally ordered from digital discount? They have some other things I'd be interested in.

Joy
Joy
Multi-tasking - Screwing everything up simultaneously.
--- Anon

castledude

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:06 am

No I haven't.

I found the address on Steves-digicams http://www.steves-digicams.com/ his site is usually pretty reliable.

I just checked them on http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2211.html they have a good review.

I bought mine when they were selling them at Radio Shack. They were selling them out at $140 for the 20G model. At that time that was lower than the price of a 512M SD card. Been using it about once a week for 4 months now and really like it.

segay

Re: Bigger Flash Card or Portable Drive?

Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:02 pm

jfender wrote:In August, I'm going on a week long trip with my children to visit family in Colorado. I know that I'm going be taking TONS of photos. I already have 2-256mb cards. My family members (I'm pretty sure) will have computers with CD-ROM drives I could use for downloading...I can always take my USB card reader along.

BUT, I'm thinking maybe a portable hard drive might be be something to consider. Or, a large sized CF card.

At a minimum, I need to buy an extra battery pack. And I'd like to buy a car charger. But, I'd consider skipping the car charger for the extra media storage.

The only other thing I can add to this is I'm not sure where else such a portable drive would get use in my "normal" everyday living. Obviously, this won't be my last vacation, and the chances are the next time we go somewhere, a PC or laptop won't be available.

So, what do you think? Do you have portable drive you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Joy

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Bigger Flash Card or Portable Drive?