Board index Equipment Digital Cameras The future of digital

Digital Cameras

The future of digital

troron

The future of digital

Post Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:49 pm

Here's a question I have been mulling over for three or four years.
When will the digital SLR become a SLNR? SLR=single lens reflex and SLNR=single lens NOT reflex?
Why do we still have mirrors flopping up and down in my Canon EOS 50 D?
Oh and for clarification I've been a photographer for more than half a century so I've kinda seen the changes and I absolutely love digital!
But again, what good is an SLR?
Is there any reason we cant have interchangeable lenses on say something like a Canon Power Shot body?
Is there any reason we cant have a very high resolution LCD viewer through the lens? Where depth of field and focus was instantly displayed?
Why not just a shutter click button that takes the picture by electronic switch, LCD viewer to CMOS?
What is there about an SLR that we cant do without a mirror?

Heck.. maybe they already have one and I have never seen it.

castledude

Re: The future of digital

Post Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:54 am

Sony has it's Translucent mirror system that uses the same lenses as it's DSLR series.

The issues are:
1) The speed of the electronic viewfinder is still a little slow (refresh rate). When you are tracking something fast it can tear.
2) About a 1/3 of a stop loss due to the the glass now not flipping out of the way.
3) When shooting continuous the EVF blanks out.

In addition Sony has it's NEX, and Panasonic and Leica have full frame cameras with EVFs. They tend to fall in a limbo between DSLR and point and shoot.

The issues are not bad they are just something to be aware of, Sony is being a bit schizo on it in that each translucent mirror camera has a corresponding DSLR.

As a A700 shooter I keep waiting for the A77 to show up to see if it is worth the upgrade/transition.

You can check them out on dpreview.

troron

Re: The future of digital

Post Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:54 pm

castledude wrote:Sony has it's Translucent mirror system that uses the same lenses as it's DSLR series.

The issues are:
1) The speed of the electronic viewfinder is still a little slow (refresh rate). When you are tracking something fast it can tear.
2) About a 1/3 of a stop loss due to the the glass now not flipping out of the way.
3) When shooting continuous the EVF blanks out.

In addition Sony has it's NEX, and Panasonic and Leica have full frame cameras with EVFs. They tend to fall in a limbo between DSLR and point and shoot.

The issues are not bad they are just something to be aware of, Sony is being a bit schizo on it in that each translucent mirror camera has a corresponding DSLR.

As a A700 shooter I keep waiting for the A77 to show up to see if it is worth the upgrade/transition.

You can check them out on dpreview.

Great response, thank you. Seems as if advancing technology "may" be able to overcome those three points with time. At least I know the limits now. Thanks

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras The future of digital