Board index Equipment Digital Cameras what is causing small white circle to randomly appear in pix

Digital Cameras

what is causing small white circle to randomly appear in pix

yippee2000

what is causing small white circle to randomly appear in pix

Post Fri May 28, 2004 2:37 pm

In two of my photoes (specifically two in my NYC/Images of Harlem gallery), small white circles appear in the image. Any idea what might cause this?

Tx.

ukexpat

Re: what is causing small white circle to randomly appear in

Post Fri May 28, 2004 2:55 pm

yippee1999 wrote:In two of my photoes (specifically two in my NYC/Images of Harlem gallery), small white circles appear in the image. Any idea what might cause this?

Tx.

Could be some sort of lens reflection or flare, or UFOs?

bobtrips

Post Fri May 28, 2004 4:06 pm

First, digital camera and flash? Then almost certainly the flash reflecting off of very small particles of dust. Especially if you were using the on-camera flash.

Digitals have very deep DOF (depth of field) so that things that would just blur away with shallow DOF become visible.

And any camera that has the flash mounted close to the lens has a tendency to bounce reflected light right back into the lens. (Think red-eye.)

If not digital/flash then post the links to the pics and we can possible give the correct answer.

yippee2000

links

Post Fri May 28, 2004 6:38 pm

Here you go. Don't ask me what I did for each photo re: flash, exposure, etc.

I really know nothing about lighting, exposure, focusing, etc. It's alot of trial-and-error right now. I'm taking a digicam class next month, but realize that I probably also need a basic class to understand the principals of photography.... lighting, etc.

http://www.pbase.com/image/29369396

http://www.pbase.com/image/29404047

bobtrips

Post Sat May 29, 2004 12:43 am

OK, I'm betting you used flash. It's a night shot (first one) and the stuff in the foreground (closest to you is lit). If you check your EXIF data it should tell you for sure if you used flash.

And take a look at your camera. Is the flash really close to the lens or does it pop way up on some sort of 'stalk'? (What kind of camera is it?)

Anyway, the 'orbs' look like dust spots to me.

bobtrips

Post Sat May 29, 2004 12:47 am

Took a look at number two. That one looks like a water drop on the lens to me. Take a look at the shot(s) you took just before and after this shot. See if the spot appears on these.

Also check you EXIF data to see if the pre/post shots were close together in time. And see if the flash was used. (Doesn't seem too likely in these daylight shots, but maybe.)

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras what is causing small white circle to randomly appear in pix