Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Which Lens

Digital Cameras

Which Lens

thewoytek

Which Lens

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:40 pm

I recently bought a Canon XSI with the kit lens. Because budget is an issue at the moment, I'd like to buy a relatively decent prime lens in the $300 range. I've narrowed it down to the Canon EF 24mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8, and the 35mm f/2. This lens would be used primarily for outdoor shots and for taking pictures of my wife's wedding cakes and sugar flower work. I need the lens to have good optics and I've read that the EF 28mm f/2.8 has some issues with CAs. If I had a full frame sensor, the 35mm would be an easy choice for price/performance. I'm just afraid the 35mm on my XSI might be too long. Any suggestions?

hardcoreboy

Re: Which Lens

Post Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:49 pm

For cake shots and product shots I would suggest you get a Canon 60mm macro. You can get one for $300 used. If you cannot find one try a Tamron 60mm macro or a Sigma 70mm macro for a couple of dollars more. These lenses are also very useful for outdoor portrait shots, though they might be too sharp for portraits, but you can always do your magic with post processing. For product shots the best way to go is a macro lens as these lenses also give you the flexibility to focus on close and distant subjects as well as giving you minimal ca.

It also depends on where you wanna use the lens. A 35mm on a crop body doesn't seem to be too long. A 35mm can give you a whole body shot for portraits, good enough to give you a wide frame for scenery. A 50mm isn't too bad either, outdoors it can still give you whole body shots. For a 60mm or longer, if you are outdoors, just move away from your subject to get a whole body shot, but for headshots, a 60mm or more will give you the best results, that is if you are going to do portraits outdoors.

For product shots, it all depends on how big your place is. If you have a smaller place like me, get something below a 50. Although I am still able to use my 70mm macro and 70-200 lenses in my mini studio, and I'm using a non full frame body.

If you have a camera shop near you, go try different lenses with different focal lengths so you'll have an idea of how far they can cover.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras Which Lens