Board index Equipment Digital Cameras "Super zoom" for FX format?

Digital Cameras

"Super zoom" for FX format?

mikelong

"Super zoom" for FX format?

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Are there any super zooms available like the Nikon 18-200 VR or another brand (Tamron, Sigma) for a Nikon D700? I've already got the Nikkor 17-35 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4 and 70-200 f/2.8 VR but it's really too much weight to carry around on a climbing or skiing expedition, plus I need access to the camera from a hip belt/pouch without changing lenses. If not, I'll have to buy a D300 or D90 along with the 18-200 VRII. But I'd prefer to purchase just the lens.

http://www.pbase.com/mikelong

ralf

Re: "Super zoom" for FX format?

Post Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:20 pm

Both Sigma and Tamron offer 28-300 lenses (as does Canon, but that's not relevant :-)). The Tamron comes in a VC (stabilized) version, but I don't have any first-hand knowledge of either maker's 28-300s.

One concern is that both the Sigma and Tamron are f/6.3 at the long end, and Nikon's autofocus is only specced for f/5.6 or faster, so you may have issues with hunting or false AF locks.

mikelong

Post Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:33 pm

Thanks Ralf, appreciate the info and will look into those suggestions. I'm not excited about buying a second system, want to avoid the gear trap as much as possible, but there may be no alternative in this case.

Mike

tapasnandan23

Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:53 am

Hubble telescope could a good option. :lol:

mikelong

Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Just bought the D90 & 18-200 VR II to use on extended hiking and climbing trips. Will keep my D700 w/ assorted full frame lenses for other apps or sell the body - too heavy and bulky to carry around the waist.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras "Super zoom" for FX format?