Board index Equipment Digital Cameras KM Dimage A2 needs a Flash

Digital Cameras

KM Dimage A2 needs a Flash

flamingtaco

KM Dimage A2 needs a Flash

Post Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:50 am

I apologize if there are few or no A2 users here now. I am scouring the net, looking for people with experiece with non-KM/Sony flashes on the A2.

I am looking for the functionality of the KM 5400HS, but my budget limits me to about $200. The problem I am having is a mass of contradictory information. I've read or been told:

Any flash that works on the Maxxum 7D/5D works on the A2.
Flashes for the 7D/5D work on the A2, but not in all modes.
Flashes for the 7D/5D do not work on the A2.

Do the Maxxum digital cameras use all the same triggering specs as the A2, or not?

I've heard the same for the Sony flashes. Obviously the three Sony flashes that replaced the three KM flashes work fine. So, why wouldn't aftermarket flashes designed for the Sony cameras work? Did Sony change the flash architecture at some point?

At this time, I am considering Sigma's EF 500 DG super and 530 DG Super. I have been told by at least one person that the 500 for Sony works, but could not get a confirmation that it does so in all modes, most specifically HSS. Sigma said they cannot help, because they did not spec the A2.

I appreciate any information that can assist me in determining what will work in the aftermarket with the A2.

Thanks,
David

viljamix

Re: KM Dimage A2 needs a Flash

Post Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:57 am

You'd better place your question here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1024
someone there can help you for sure.
I really do appreciate if you could leave a comment. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Cheers, Jorma

You'll never get out of this life alive.

http://pbase.com/viljamix

flamingtaco

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:31 am

I spoke with several there when I thought I was going to get a flash the year before last. I suppose a re-post is in order.

Thanks,
David

flamingtaco

Post Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:23 am

Posted for informational purposes:

After speaking with a Sigma rep, I purchased an EF530 DG Super (Sony Version). The rep confirmed that the 530 series is replacing the 500 series flashes outright. Most of the changes between the 500 and 530 series is behind the scenes, and occured to reduce cost, improve durability, and/or fix mode bugs. The one functionality change is an improved guide number for the 530 series. More efficient bulb? Better flash strategy? Improved reflector surface? The rep did not know.

After several months of use, including a wedding, I have not found a mode that does not work properly for the A2. Exposure has been spot-on, except when I faulted in my selection of settings. Admittedly, I have not walked though each and every possibility, but ADI, TTL and manual all seem to operate as advertised.

Flash options: Having a head that rotates 180º rocks. Direct flash, ceiling bounce, rear wall to ceiling bounce, side wall bounce, opaque diffusers, bounce diffusers, hand-held; I've tried all of these methods and love the flexibility. Definately a top-notch flash.

As a side note, I used Adorama, who not only had a great price, but also footed the bill when I ordered the wrong version. They very quickly responded to my emails, they even called me, basically they really worked it to get the right flash to me in a hurry, even though the mistake was made at my end. Kudos to them, please consider them if purchasing this flash.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras KM Dimage A2 needs a Flash