Board index Equipment Digital Cameras DX6440

Digital Cameras

DX6440

kathmandu

DX6440

Post Fri May 14, 2004 3:35 pm

Hi
Any info on the down side of this camera being that the pictures are too compressed. Can you explain what this will effect ? I often take a picture and then crop an area, for example a full size person, but will then crop to head and shoulders, or a 2-3 person shot, then crop the space around the side, will the fact that the dx6440 compresses the pictures so much have any bearing on this, just what bearing does this compression have overall ?
Thanks
Can't decide between CanonA75 - and the DX6440.
Thanks

castledude

Post Fri May 14, 2004 10:32 pm

I have the 6490 which also has this "problem"...

I'm now up to about 14,000 pictures taken with it so you can see that it really does not bother me. The reality is that you won't notice it unless you really look hard. The great lenses that Kodak use make up for the compression.

The compression manifests itself as a slight softness in complex areas of the picture like a grassy field.

Take a look at the sample pictures on http://www.steves-digicams.com and compare them with the pictures taken with a similar camera by Olympus, Nikon or Canon. Look a the grass near the building. Also look at the sky, the reason for this is to see some JPEG effect (both camera has them).

The only people that seem to complain about the compression are those that don't own one and those that mistake other things for the compression.

And yes I do print out the pictures from this camera up to 8"x10".

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras DX6440